|Abnormal Blood Count?
May 10, 2008
Dr.Bob, I last had sex with a couple of CSW's back in 2004. In 2008 I got a blood rapid UNI-GOLD test which came back negative. I began to fear for the possibility of a false negative. Though all incidences WERE protected both oral and vaginal. Anyhow, recently I got a physical and the doctor did a CBC. My WBC came back at 4.9 BUT my Lymphocyte count came back at 46%! Lymph ABS value of 2254 (normal 850 - 3900). Being that it was 46% of my total WBC count, should I go in for additional testing. The doctor said that this seems to be abnormal since regular lymph counts should be only 20 - 30% based on a normal persons immune system. He, as I've seen others post on this site, firmly believe that rapid tests are quackery at best. A donation is being made Dr.Bob. God Bless. Mark
| Response from Dr. Frascino
1. Protected sex is indeed protected. Assuming the latex condoms were used properly and did not break, your HIV-acquisition risk would be essentially nonexistent.
2. A negative HIV-antibody test four years after a presumed HIV exposure is definitive and conclusive. I see no reason for any additional HIV tests.
3. HIV is not your problem. No way. No how.
4. Absolutely lymphocyte counts are very dynamic. They respond to many stimuli and are certainly not HIV specific. I would not be at all concerned about your slightly depressed count. The only potential follow-up would be to repeat your CBC in a month. (Chances are excellent the counts will normalize spontaneously,)
5. What your doctor "believes" doesn't change scientific fact. What appears to be "quacking" here is not rapid HIV tests, but rather your incompetent physician. I suggest you find one that is more reasonable and knowledgeable.
Thanks for your donation to the Robert James Frascino AIDS Foundation (www.concertedeffort.org).
Be well, Mark.
Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS
- Does Hiv Show Abnormal Complete Blood Counts?
- Will A Person With Late Hiv Have Abnormal Blood Test?
- Is Burning Penis A Symptom Of AIDS?
- Is Dry Mouth A Symptom Of Acute HIV Infection?
- Burning Penis After Touching Sperm Worried I Have HIV
- Burning Red Spots After Vaginal Sex Worried I Have HIV
This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.
Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.