Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Dr, Bob I'm Still Going Crazy!
May 10, 2008

Hi Dr. Bob,

I'm turning to you for help again.

Same old story, unprotected blowjob with protected vaginal sex, had chlamydia, syphilis tests 3 months after exposure and HIV test 5 months after, all were negative. Have had pain during urination for 2 years now???? I am still convinced I have some kind of STD, I had a cystoscopy done which was negative, was put on 3 courses of antibiotics for possible prostatitis and still nothing has worked. What can I do? It only hurts at the base of my penis when I urinate and my penis feels a little itchy at the base. I'm running out of options and Urologists to see. I've had too many urinalysis done, should I be getting anymore tests? This STD thing is worrying me.

Thanks for your help

Anonymous

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hello Anonymous,

Being convinced you have an STD and actually having an STD are two completely different things. If you've had multiple urological evaluations, cystoscopy, three courses of antibiotics and "too many urinalyses" and nothing can be found to explain your discomfort on urination and "little itchy," I'd suggest you consider getting a psychological assessment for psychosomatic illness. A therapist may be able to help you come to terms with the fact you don't have an STD. Once you believe that, your symptoms may well evaporate. It's worth a try, because as you state, you're running out of urologists to see!

Good luck.

Dr. Bob

Previous
Why still bareback?
Next
Boyfriend Doesn't Want to Use Condom

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.