HIV and healthcare workers

Dear Dr. Frascino, First, I want to say how much I love your sense of humor. You crack me up all the time with some of your responses. I think your the greatest and you inspire me! My ? is , I currently work as a certified surgical technologist for a very large hospital and they allow me to pass instruments but I am not allowed to assist the surgeon due to my poz status. I keep getting job offers in other states and I would love to look into them but I'm scared some of them will not let me work in surgery due to my status. It seems that discrimination is still a big problem for HIV poz healthcare providers. Do you think this problem will still be with us for a long time? James

Hey James,

Well I certainly don't see a cure just around the corner; consequently, I would bet HIV-related discrimination will be with us for quite some time. You could consider looking for an employment opportunity in a more "enlightened" community San Francisco, for instance. It may be worth a try. And besides, this is an incredible place to live!

Stay well James!

Blood in Frozen Foods
First time exposure