Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

LTNP & Reinfection
May 9, 2008

Hi Dr F (& whomever)... First, thanks for all the invaluable information you guys provide! I've been poz 5 years and recently found out (via a NIH study) that Im a LTNP due to the B44 gene that I have. I'm curious how this affects my chances of reinfection and my control over HIV. As it stands now, Im able to keep a viral level of about 100 with no meds. Obviously I dont want to mess that up, but Im not sure if my genetic advantage applies to HIV in general or just my strain or ? Ive been seeing another poz guy (hes off meds and stabilized in the low 1000s) and would like to know how unprotected sex would affect my bodys control over the infection. These genes seem to be such a new area of research that Im having problems locating any kind of information.

Thanks!

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hello Long-Term Non-Progressor,

The genetic component to the HIV story is still being worked out. The answer to your specific question is no one really knows! At this point I would advise you stick with safer sex, as the consequences are just too great. Also, unprotected sex leaves you and your new stud-muffin open to loads of other STDs, which could screw up your HIV disease control as well. Ultimately research will let us know if and when it's safe to remove the latex wrapping. Until then I'd advise you stay safe by staying wrapped.

Dr. Bob

Previous
DONATION QUESTION!!!!???????
Next
Donations to your foundation

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.