LTNP & Reinfection

Hi Dr F (& whomever)... First, thanks for all the invaluable information you guys provide! I've been poz 5 years and recently found out (via a NIH study) that Im a LTNP due to the B44 gene that I have. I'm curious how this affects my chances of reinfection and my control over HIV. As it stands now, Im able to keep a viral level of about 100 with no meds. Obviously I dont want to mess that up, but Im not sure if my genetic advantage applies to HIV in general or just my strain or ? Ive been seeing another poz guy (hes off meds and stabilized in the low 1000s) and would like to know how unprotected sex would affect my bodys control over the infection. These genes seem to be such a new area of research that Im having problems locating any kind of information.

Thanks!

Hello Long-Term Non-Progressor,

The genetic component to the HIV story is still being worked out. The answer to your specific question is no one really knows! At this point I would advise you stick with safer sex, as the consequences are just too great. Also, unprotected sex leaves you and your new stud-muffin open to loads of other STDs, which could screw up your HIV disease control as well. Ultimately research will let us know if and when it's safe to remove the latex wrapping. Until then I'd advise you stay safe by staying wrapped.

DONATION QUESTION!!!!???????
Donations to your foundation