|Exposure to HIV
May 8, 2008
Grettings from London.
This does seem like one of the best sites on the web, and of course I will make a donation by card.
I was very likely expoded to HIV 7 days ago. I had, stupidly, (having drunk too much but that is no excuse), had unprotected sex with two men in Sao Paulo Brazil who I meet over the net. One Italisn, whos HIV status I do not know, and one brazillian who claimed he had been tested neg last month. Symptons to date. day 1. nausea. lack of appretite. Slght tingling in end of penis. very thirsty and and peeing alot. Day 2. As above. Day 3. SLightly sote throat. NO appretite Day 4. - metallic taste on mouth. NO appretite Day five - Very white tongue and dry gums Day Six as above. getting worse Day seven As above getting even worse making it hard to eat - not that I have an appretite anyway. Little toe moing of its on accord.Slight headache - (I get headahe alot but this was in a completely different part of my head.) I do smoke socially, and more when I am stressed, but was not smoking much before I got the mouth infection. googling.. which I everybody advises you not to do, it does seem that white tongue and an infection of themuscus around the lips, combined with a loss of appetite are signs of ARS, and apart from what many people are telling me I understand that some people do develope symptoms within two days of exposure, uncommon as it may be. I did have very high rick sex. We were all on 'Chalie' I topped the Italian but the brallian did enter me for abut a minute. I fingered the Italian alot - thinking it was safe but them realised that I had a resonable long open sore on my index finger. If my condition is not HIV related are there any other STD that it coudl be. I have my fingers (the sore now healed) crossed that it is something apart fom HIV. I realise that people can now live well with HIV, but if I do have HIV my life would have to change significantly, as I live and work with my male partner, and I find the thought of throwing away so much that I have worked for for one brief unsafe sex session very very stressful. Also the shame of telling friens and family how I contracted it. My partner who does not yet know what happened ( don't worry we do not have sex anymore.. part of the problem of my implusive irresponsible behaviour..)and of course I wil have to tell him when the time is right - I cannot afford to jepodise the projects we have on. Clearly I am very very anxious and going out of my mind with worry thiking that I am HIV+ and the consequences if being so.. I would appreciate your thoughts. Many thanks. Paul
| Response from Dr. Frascino
You had high "rick" sex and now your little toe is "moing" of its "on" accord? And you're worried about telling "friens" and cannot afford to "jepodise" your projects. So you were all on "Chalie," but you topped the "Italisn" and the "brallian" entered you. Hmm . . . well whatever you contracted, it seems to be having a terrible impact on your ability to spell.
Paul, here are the facts:
1. Unprotected sex does place you at risk for STDs, including HIV. You should get an STD screen as well as an HIV test. Wait until the three-month mark for the HIV test, as HIV-antibody tests taken prior to three months are not considered to be definitive.
2. Symptoms associated with acute retroviral syndrome (ARS) take weeks to become manifest, not days. Whatever was causing your symptoms at day two, it certainly was not HIV.
3. Symptoms are notoriously unreliable in predicting who is and is not HIV infected.
4. Level with your partner. It's not only the best way to confront your guilt; it's also the right thing to do.
5. Learn where the spell check button is located on your computer.
Thank you for your donation to the Robert James Frascino AIDS Foundation (www.concertedeffort.org). In return I'm sending you my good-luck karma that your definitive three-month HIV test will be negative.
Good luck Paul!
Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS
- What's The Difference Between Mouth Ulcers And Herpes Simplex 1?
- What Percentage Of Women In The Us Have Bacterial Vaginosis?
- What Percentage Can I Pass Herpes To My Unborn Child?
- What Not To Eat When You Have Shingles?
- What Foods To Avoid If You Have Herpes?
- What Do Female Genital Warts Look Like?
This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.
Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.