Does self sodomy cause AIDS?

How many times do you need to have had anal sex before you contract AIDS? I have never done that kind of depraved act before, but some of my friends, about 16 to 18 years old have started using their fingers and other things to sodomise themselves. I am worried for them, but have no solid proof that that causes AIDS. Can you help me?

You have no solid proof that "self sodomy" causes AIDS, because it doesn't exist. You can't possibly give yourself a germ (HIV) that you don't have! A sexually transmitted disease (STD), such as HIV or syphilis or gonorrhea, is transmitted from an infected partner to an uninfected partner during unprotected sex. "Self sodomy with fingers and other things" is not a risk for HIV or other STDs, unless the "other things" include an erect penis not covered by a latex condom attached to an HIV-positive guy.

As for anal sex being a "depraved act," well, there are many folks (both gay and straight) that would strongly disagree with you on that point. From your limited knowledge of HIV transmission and sex in general, I can only assume you are either very young, home schooled or a victim of Dubya's abstinence-only sex education programs. Whatever the cause of your lack of sexual knowledge, there is no doubt you have much to learn. This Web site is a good place to start. Have a look around the archives and related links. I'll reprint some information from the archives from others who feared they could infect themselves with HIV.

Can you give yourself HIV/AIDS? - by semen contact with a cut or wound of yourself? (CAN YOU GIVE YOURSELF HIV/AIDS) Jan 29, 2008

hiya doc

I was wondering about this cause a couple days ago I was masturbating myself after sometime, but was not warned that I got a cut on a side of my thumb that was nearly opened (not bleeding ye but interior cut and transparent fluid was visible) I notice this after ejaculating since a friend said HIV virus is in the semen and turn active as touch the bloodstream, but not completely sure yet

Another QTND (question that never dies) and ATNC (answer that never changes). See below. And do tell your folks that your abstinence-only sex education program sucks (and not in a good way).

Is it possible (CAN YOU GIVE YOURSELF HIV/AIDS?) Jan 3, 2007

I was curious about something, and that's is it possible in any capacity for a man to give hiv or aids to oneself. Like say some of your own cum just a little bit touched a cut that was mostly healed or looks dark red. Basicaly. Can you give yourself HIV?

Another QTND (question that never dies) and ATNC (answer that never changes).

See below.

very Urgent Question May 22, 2006

I recently masterbated, once i had finished i realised that some sperm had gone onto a scab on my hand, is there any chance of an STI/STD/HIV or anything, this answer really matters to me as i am only a teenager and afraid of the consequences of any STI/STD. Please answer doc, thanks you.

No, there is absolutely no chance you can contract a sexually transmitted illness from yourself! STDs involve germs (viruses and bacteria) that spread from an infected person to another person via sexual activity. Masturbation, choking the chicken, spanking the monkey or whatever you want to call it involves only you and your hand. Some folks may refer to their hand as Mrs. Palm and her five daughters, but really we are only talking about one person here. And that's you, right?!? A person cannot give himself a disease he doesn't already have. Just as you can't give yourself a million dollars (because I assume you don't have a million dollars, right?). You can't give yourself HIV, because you don't have that either. The bottom line is that your jizz is perfectly safe, so no worries unless you spunk up your parents' furniture (or Monica Lewinsky's blue dress). And even those kinds of stains, although they can lead to problems, they can not lead to STDs, OK?

To those reading the forum, here we have another fine example of how sex education is shamefully lacking in our schools. Teenagers should not be worrying about contracting HIV form burping the nephew and getting a bit of baby batter on their hands!!! Demand age-appropriate, science-based sex-education curricula in the public schools. Refuse to allow Republican rightwing fanatics, who insist on abstinence-only programs, to confuse and potentially harm our youth. Multiple scientific studies have now clearly shown that abstinence-only sex-education programs not only don't work, but they can actually cause harm by not teaching our kids what they need to know to stay safe and healthy.

self-masturbated with wound on hand Aug 12, 2006

hello

i'm 21 years old, and last night i masturbated myself, and i happened to have an open wound on my left hand. my right fingers touched a wet spot on a towel i was using. i was about to wash my hands, i noticed my right hand was touching that wound.

am i putting myself at HIV risk if my own semen came in contact with my open wound?

You are 21 and you are still concerned about contracting HIV from yourself via masturbation and contact with your own spunk??? Let me guess. You were home-schooled and come form a devoutly religious family, right? Hmmmm. Another one!!!!

Now let's think this through logically, OK? Do you really think it's possible to create HIV a virus out of thin air just by spanking the monkey??? HIV is as germ. It can be transmitted from one infected person to an uninfected person by unprotected sex. You cannot give yourself HIV anymore than you can give yourself measles, mumps, syphilis or tuberculosis, OK?

I suggest you spend some time reviewing the wealth of information on this site related to how HIV is, and is not, transmitted.

I also want to remind all readers of this forum that this is yet another example of why we need age-appropriate sex education programs in our schools!

masterbation (CAN YOU GIVE YOURSELF HIV/AIDS?) Oct 20, 2007

I have been masterbating for about two years now. during this time i have been using my blanket and i was wondering if i can get aids by doing this. this is so because i read somewhere that when pre ejaculating this can cause aids or hiv by having the ejaculation going up the hole in the penis. Since i am using the same thing can the already ejaculated iquid not visible affect me if i masterbate with the same blanket.

And so another QTND (Question That Never Dies) resurfaces once again. See below.

Sneezin and Masturbatin (CAN YOU GIVE YOURSELF HIV/AIDS?) Sep 8, 2007

Yo doc,

Ur da greatest! I love what you do because you put our minds at ease. My question is: While I was, as you say, burping the nephew or choking the chicken, I ejaculated and then I sneezed on my penis... weird huh? While some snot or saliva didn't hit my penis but hit my pelvic region. Could I have gotten HIV from this incident?

Thanks, ttyl.

Hi TTYL,

Sneezing and spunking almost simultaneously must have been quite a rush! But why would that raise concerns about HIV? You can't give yourself HIV! (See below.)

Gesundheit!

could i catch hiv from my own semen (CAN YOU GIVE YOURSELF HIV/AIDS) Jun 4, 2007

i just want to know that if put my own semen on a sex toy and insert it in to me can i catch hiv/aids?

Your question once again demonstrates the urgent need for age-appropriate sex education in our schools (and the equal urgent need for you to have a real date with a real person, rather than an inanimate object purchased at Good Vibrations Sex Novelty Shop).

To answer your question, no, you cannot give yourself HIV or any other infectious disease you don't already have by playing with your sex toys! That's assuming, of course, your sex toys aren't cheating on you.

See below.

Self Anal (CAN YOU GIVE YOURSELF HIV/AIDS?) Jan 5, 2007

I feel a bit embarressed about this, but I am very curious. I am a bi-curious male and I wanted to know. If I were to masturbate and then cum on my finger. Then take my own cum and stick it up my ass, will I get HIV or any other STD?

Here we go again . . . a QTND returns once again. You cannot give yourself an STD/HIV via "cum up the bum," auto-fellatio (for you flexible yoga fans) or any other means. STDs, including HIV, are caused by germs (viruses and bacteria) that an infected person transmits to an uninfected person during sex. The mere act of having sex by yourself or with others doesn't spontaneously create a germ out of thin air! See below.

See below.

very Urgent Question May 22, 2006

hello

PEP outcome and other STDs
Worry about HIV