The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary


May 7, 2008


I guess you won't answer but I will ask anyway...

I sucked a guy's toe and then found something unusual under his nail. It looks quite likely to be blood but I am not sure how old those blood was. My question is: is this possible for my saliva to have touched the blood clot and somehow I swallowed the liquid? Am I at risk? I don't remember any fresh blood coming out but what if the clot was new blood?

I searched from the old record and noticed a doctor saying only vaginal, anal and oral sex carries risk of HIV transmission. Others are theoretical only. Is this also your stance?

How do you evaluate my risk?

Sorry for my poor English. I hope I have made myself clear.

All the best to you, Dr.Bob

Response from Dr. Frascino


You sucked out "something unusual" from under a guy's toenail??? Ick! Aside from the unappetizing nature of your snack, your HIV risk is negligible to nonexistent. If you remain worried, you can get a single rapid HIV test at the three-month mark to put any residual (and unwarranted) fears permanently to rest.

Finally, what's this nonsense about your trusting my answer more than a test? Don't be a silly willy. A negative FDA-approved HIV-antibody test performed outside the testing window is the gold standard. I'm merely a wise-assed cyber sexpert providing science-based advice with the occasional (OK, more than occasional) side order of twisted rhetorical humor and political commentary.

Dr. Bob

hello doctor

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

 Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint