Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

freaked out lab tech
May 5, 2008

Hey Dr. Bob! I am a lab tech at a biotech company working on HIV therapy. Recently, I was bleaching some concentrated HIV+ infected cell culture bags. I was wearing a lab coat, goggles, sleeves, and double gloves. To bleach the bags, I placed a large container inside a biosafety hood. I filled the container's bottom about 4 in full with bleach. I injected about 6 mL bleach into each bag and then carefully dumped the bag's contents into the tub in the biosafety hood. When I was finished, I opened the hood and poured an additional amount of bleach into the tub to make sure everything was covered in bleach. When I was emptying the tub into the sink a drop of the contents flew up and hit me on the forehead. I removed all my safety gear and washed the area with soap and water. My supervisor said that the material is no longer infectious because it was bleached in the bag, and dumped into bleach and allowed to sit for at least a min. Is is safe to assume that I dont need PEP even though there is a concentrated HIV+ cell culture involved? Thank you! I really enjoy this forum and reading your hilarious answers to questions! VIVA OBAMA!

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hi,

Your chances of acquiring HIV from this occupational exposure are the same as the chance Obama will invite Rush Limbaugh to be his VP running mate. Even if the HIV were "unbleached," HIV cannot permeate intact skin. PEP is definitely not warranted.

Obama just won Guam!

Dr. Bob

Previous
Pregnancy and Sperm Washing (POSITIVE MALE, NEGATIVE FEMALE)
Next
pre cum and oral sex

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.