Side Effects of ARV's in Child

My two granchildren were sexually abused at their playschool. One child is 3 and the other is 1 1/2. We had them at the district surgeon, and crisis centre who confirmed this. Their is now a police investigation. My question is this:

The crisis centre put the girls on ARV's, as a prevention to possible HIV infection. They are both so sick. They are vommitting, they have the runs, and are just generally really sick. They have only been on the ARV's for 3 days and have 25 days left as this is a 28 day course. IS there anything that can be given to them to ease their suffering, and can there be any long term side effects. To be honest,we dont even know what the medicine is called. They are given two different medications per day. Both in a solution form.

Being in South Africa we were really lucky that they gave us the medicine free of charge, as a measure to prevent HIV infection. I just hope we caught it in time. We also cannot force the person who did this to have a test to determine his status :(

Many thanks

K Orton

You cannot force a child molester to get an HIV test??? Why would the law protect the rights of a convicted child rapist/molester over those of the abused children?

Your grandchildren are now receiving antiretroviral medications to decrease their risk of acquiring HIV. This is called PEP (post-exposure prophylaxis). The medicines are potent and can cause side effects. I would advise you seek the assistance of a local pediatric HIV specialist physician. He or she will review the medication dosage to make sure it's appropriate for your grandchildren. He will also evaluate and manage the side effects. There are medications and other interventions that can help mitigate the side effects. If necessary the specialist may even change the medication. Finally, the specialist will also arrange for and interpret the post-PEP HIV testing (out to six months from the exposure).

I certainly hope the perpetrator of this heinous crime has been apprehended and that he will be prosecuted to the full extent of the law.

Good luck to you and your grandchildren.

Theres nothing like the feeling of skin on skin.............EXCEPT!!
AYUSHMAN BHAVA from worried indian female