In the heat of the moment

Dear Dr. Bob: I cannot believe I did this, but I saw this guy in a bookstore, our eyes met and we went to his car and made out. Sounds like something out of a Harlequin Romance series; I don't know what came over me, because I've never acted like that before. Nevertheless, we necked, no lip kissing, felt each other, stroked each others joy-sticks; he didn't precum or ejaculate; I precame only (which is nothing new), and we fingered each others anuses. My only worry is the fingering. How risky is this? I'm more worried about other STDs, then HIV, because there was no blood visible on my fingers. However, I wouldn't mind knowing the risk for both HIV and other STDs in regards to this brief activity. Your donation is on its way. Thanks for all that you do. Much love! The Minute Man

Hi Minute Man,

Although I've never really read a Harlequin Romance Series ("Chick-Lit") book, I'm fairly certain they all involve "lip kissing" and probably not much finger-up-butt action. What's up with necking, joy-stick stroking and digital butt probing, but no lip lock? Hmm . . . the strange habits of bookstore hookups. Sometimes I just don't understand why a simple kiss would be off limits, but dicks and asses are fair game!

Your HIV risk is essentially nonexistent, assuming the skin on your fingers was intact. As far as other STDs, you also should have very little to worry about. Yes, there are some STDs that can be transmitted by skin-to-skin contact, such as scabies, herpes and HPV, but the overall chances you contracted anything from this "Harlequeen" (as opposed to Harlequin) bookstore romance are remote at best. Relax Max. You played safe and your "heated moment" was not at all risky, OK? In fact I'll bet there are lots of readers who would like to join this book club! It sounds like more fun than Oprah's!

Risks
Worried of false negative