Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
  Breaking News: FDA Approves Triumeq, New Once-Daily Combination Pill

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

NAT Testing
Apr 26, 2008

Hello,

I had a possible exposure to HIV on or around March 19. I made a major mistake by having unprotected sex with a stranger. He later told me he was HIV positive and has since changed his cell phone number, so I was unable to confirm if he was indeed positive nor was I able to get further information about viral load etc.

I waited until April 3rd to get tested. I live in Los Angeles and was fortunate enough to receive free NAT testing. Additionally, I was screened for all STDs. Everything came back negative. The counselor said that I am 100% negative as of March 13 (before the possible exposure) and assured me that I should feel confident about my negative result being conclusive. My question is how good should I feel about the 15 days I waited before getting the NAT test? Do you have any statistics around how long it takes for the virus to present itself?

Thanks,

Eric

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hello Eric,

The current testing guidelines still recommend HIV-antibody testing at the three-month mark. Other more sensitive tests are being developed and coming online; however, the formal guidelines have not yet been revised, as we are still gaining information about the sensitivity and specificity of the newer tests. NAT allows us to detect very small amounts of genetic material (DNA or RNA) via a process called amplification, which involves massive copying. In laboratory studies NAT testing reduced the time to viral detection to 12 days. So is your 15-day negative NAT WOO-HOOable? Honestly I don't know. There has not been enough published research for me to make that a definitive statement. I'd still recommend the 3 month antibody test.

Dr. Bob

Previous
What are the risks ?
Next
Thanks again Dr Frascino

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.