What are the risks ?

Hi, I am the negative half of a HIV magnetic couple. I have been with my boyfriend for only a month or so and we hit it off immediately (as they say) and when he told me he was HIV positive I (being 20 and he 30 ) decided i didnt want to put my life at risk at such a young age and broke up with him. Now were together again, and i just want to know a few things to put my mind at rest about how easily (or how not as the case may be) the virus may be passed on.

A ) Physicians say that the risk through kissing is "negligible" however I regularly suffer from bleeding gums will this increase the risk of contraction (i have often observed noticeable blood in my saliva after a passionate kiss (however this bllod is always mine and not his) am i right to be concerned?)

B) With regards semen and "pre cum" is it true that if this even so much as gets in contact with the membrane of the penis (even during foreplay) it may cause infection , how significant is the risk of this and should protection be worn for all sexual activity in this area?

C) I was exposed to HIV a few years ago when the blood of an Infected person came in contact with my eye , as a precautionary measure i was put on PEP medication. I know from your forum that many couples elect to have an emergency stock of PEP at hand just incase exposure of the negative half occurs. Is it possible for this medication to be used more than once ? i.e. because i have completed a course of it in the past does this mean that it will not be effective if i am again exposed ?

I know there are alot of questions here but my local sexual health clinic seems to be distributing conflicting advice and just want to know once and for all what is true and what is not, Many Thanks, This will be greatly Appreciated.

Me Again !

I just posted a question (i say a question i mean several) Just one more, if I'm not pushing it?

I suppose it would be "D"

D) I have a minor allergy to Latex (By this i mean i get a minor rash and tingling sensation when wearing latex gloves) it hasnt caused any problems with previous sexual partners when using condoms (infact it can be quite enjoyable) Pardon my frankness, but my question is will such a rash increase my risk of post sex infection (i.e. once condoms have been removed). Thank you so much for your time, and may i just say what a fantastic site you have provided, you are clearly a very dedicated medical professional! God Bless !

Hello Negative Half,

I combined your questions.

A. The HIV-transmission risk remains negligible; however, I do recommend you get your bleeding gums attended to. See your dentist and don't forget to floss!

B. Pre-cum is considered an infectious body fluid and therefore you should avoid having it come in contact with mucous membranes, such as the lining of your urethra (pee hole). Certainly a condom or more careful "play" would accomplish this.

C. Yes, PEP can be used as often as necessary without worry about loss of efficacy.

D. That would depend on the severity of the "rash." Generally speaking HIV can not permeate intact skin. That being said, I should also mention that true latex allergy can be a significant medical problem and repeated exposures to a substance you are truly allergic to can produce progressively more severe symptoms. I would suggest you consult a board-certified allergist. He can perform a skin test to ascertain if indeed you have latex sensitivity (allergy). If so, I would suggest you switch to polyurethane condoms.

Finally, I would suggest both you and your "positive half" read through the information in the chapter "Magnetic Couples" in the archives of this forum. The information there and on related links should help you both better understand the "ins and outs" of being magnetically coupled.

my second time asking, HIV from BJ? Have Symptoms.
NAT Testing