RE very worried in the UK

Hi Dr Frascino, sorry just one last quick queery, from my original post, you did say my risk from HIV was non-existent which is reassuring to know but my only small queery is every post i've seen regarding possible blood contact contact mentions no risk if the cut is healed whereas mine was slightly raw & possibly bleeding(dont think so though but what if it was bleeding ??) so as one of your Dr's points out a possible portal for transmission. Do you think my risk was low as there wouldn't be much infected blood getting directly into my cut, sorry to trouble you again but if i did get hand to hand contact through taping the parcel,the courriers fresh blood could of come into contact with my cut directly(even though like i say it wasn't a deep cut but still raw IE not healded)is it the amount of blood needed or the size of the cut?? Sorry again this is my last post as i don't want to trouble you & you've alread been a great help, so i really do hope you reply just to finally put my mind at rest, like i say i'm not a doubting person just really wanted to clear up those last couple of points, thanks again Dr Frascino you have been a great help, this will be my last post, all the best & sorry again to trouble you :)Stephen from the UK.

Hello UK-Stephen,

I have no way of actually assessing the severity of your hand wound. However, considering we do not know the status of the other man, whether any of his blood even came in contact with your "slightly raw" area or if you were bleeding, your HIV risk becomes so remote as to be nonexistent. If, for whatever reason, you cannot stop perseverating on these "what ifs" and continue to worry, get a single rapid HIV test at the three-month mark. I don't feel it's warranted or necessary; however, if it puts your unwarranted worries permanently to rest, it may be worth the effort. The results will undoubtedly be negative.

Be well. Stay well. (You are indeed "well!")

Very worried in the UK Apr 20, 2008

Hello Dr Frascino & a good day to you. Thanks to the wonders of the worldwide web i have found your wonderful & truly informative site, i have a question, i hope i've posted it in the correct forum & if you have the time to answer it i would be a very happy bunny. I have found various posts which give me an indication of the answer but i think sometimes the personal touch makes a great difference to ones mindset, my question is as follows, while at work the other day me & a parcel courrier were taping up a parcel(the two of us were like dumb & dumber :) ) as it was an awkard/heavyish box there was a bit of jostling/manouvering as we taped it up. When we put the parcel in the van i noticed a fair amount of fresh blood on the back of the courriers hand which i commented on, he said he knocked it earlier in the day & didn't seem too concerned about it not being covered, i don't know the HIV status of the courrier. My concern is after he had gone i absent mindedly wiped both the back, palms & fingers of both hands on my fleece as they were a touch clammy, to my horror i noticed i had some raw skin on the top of my finger where your nail starts(the soft skin that often get's knocked) I'm not sure if it was bleeding, i don't think it was(about 80% certain it wasn't) & if it was bleeding it was very slight, it wasn't like a cut with a knife or a puncture wound for example just the skin knocked off. I removed my fleece immediatley & then checked my hands, i'm about 90% certain that there was no visible blood on my hands but i couldn't be sure. About 15 mins after that i went for a pee & washed my hands(in hindsight i should of washed them straight away after wiping them on my fleece & again after peeing) & put a plaster on my raw skin. I have now got it into my head that through our dumb & dumber act of taping the box up he could of accidently knocked his hand against my raw skin & got blood contact from there(again not sure if we did or didn't have hand to hand contact as i was concentrating on the job in hand & at that point wasn't aware of the fresh blood on the back of his hand) or he could of wiped some blood on my fleece accidentaly & through my clammy hand wiping i could have come into contact with his blood via my fleece or from my fleece & then while holding my penis while peeing(I'm not circumcised). From previous posts on your forums i gather blood to blood as being fresh, immediate & direct with a large amount of blood into a large deep open wound, so assuming we did have blood contact via hand to hand contact through work would it be classed as immediate & direct & would the knocked skin on my finger be classed as an open wound or would the incident be classed as casual contact or in wiping my clammy hand on my fleece would it be indirect contact if indeed there was infected blood on the area of my fleece where i wiped my hands as the blood would be reasonbly fresh IE not wholly dried. From this incident what would you say the chances/risks(presuming the parcel courrier was HIV pos) of HIV infection through my raw skin(bleeding or non-bleeding) coming into contact with his blood either off hand to hand contact or via my fleece or from holding my penis while peeing & would you recommend testing again?? The reason for my anxiety is i have just tested HIV neg 4 months after coming out of a steady relationship, as i think it's important to look after ones health & if you think i need testing again a 3 month waiting period seems so far away so an answer will help me through the waiting time(if indeed you recommend testing again that is). I am quite clued up about HIV prevention & transmission in a sexual sense, just not so clued up about blood transmission etc (I've read about needlestick injuries & IV drug use etc) but i'm not at risk from them it's other sources of blood transmission issues that i'm not sure about hence my worries & concerns. I also have been accepted into the forces as an Air Technician so this incident is slightly darkening my cloud with a silver lining :) . Anyhow if you have time in presumably a very busy schedule a response would mean a great deal to me & like i say my mindset, i have found various posts regarding casual contact, blood to blood contact etc etc & if you have answered this post already or similar posts then they have elluded me when searching your archives but again i'm not the best with computers (It's a good job my Armed Forces test didn't involve computers or i'd have failed :) ) so please accept my apology & bear with me if indeed i have wasted your time by you responding to me, thats why the personal touch means so much to me, your expertise, skills & caring, considerate answers will be a great great help to me. On the flip side when i first found your site i read other various posts not relating to my question & if you don't make president you will certainley make an excellent stand up comic, i would definatley buy tickets to see you on stage you would literaly bring the house down as your witty responses(sometimes in the face of negativity)are awesome & the least i can do is place a donation to your site(it's almost like buying a ticket as i can read your witty remarks every day) i just wish the world had more people like your good self in it. So for now i bid you farewell & i really hope to hear from you soon, oh when i'm in the forces if i'm ever in the area i would love to buy you a latte or whatever your preferred beverage is, red wine possibly?? :), take care for now, keep up the good work, you do an outstanding job & as we don't have websites like this in the UK it's reassuring to know that at the push of a button we can reach informative sites & valued experts like yourselves, you have got a good team there, once again take care. Stephen in the UK

Hello Stephen,

Thanks for your kind comments.

Your HIV-acquisition risk is completely nonexistent. I see absolutely no reason for HIV testing or any concern/worry.

So I guess you should be "a very happy bunny!"

As for that drink, a cappuccino during the day or nice Merlot or port in the evening sounds great to me.

Be well. Stay well.

Many thanks form the UK Apr 22, 2008

Dr Frascino, just a quick message to say thanks RE:- Very Worried In The UK, out of all the things about contacting HIV, getting it via blood contact as described in my situation in my initial question was the only thing i was unsure about but thanks to your expert advice & may i say very prompt/courtious reply my concerns/worries are no more. I've found your concerted effort link & placed my donation. Oh by the way you should register "Frevinsake" as a trade mark, it's a fantastic saying & when your drinking your Port on a night i hope you've got a well stocked cheese board to accompany it:) Once again good look to you, your partner & your team, keep up the outstanding work. Stephen from the UK.

Hi Stephen from the UK,

Thanks for your thanks, kind comments and donation to The Robert James Frascino AIDS Foundation (www.concertedeffort.org).

By the way, my cheeseboard is indeed well stocked! How else could I enjoy the lovely port I'm currently sipping? Frevinsakes!!!

Be well Stephen. I toast your good health!

Rheumatoid Arthritis and Hiv Testing
preoccupato