HIV Duo test - reliable or not?
Apr 22, 2008
Dear Dr. Bob,
hello from London town. Firstly - great website! Secondly - apologies if this has already been answered in the archives.
I had sex with a sex worker in Cape Town, including a couple of minutes protected (as far as I remember!) penetrative vaginal sex.
I had a whole raft of tests 29 days after, including the HIV Duo - the P24 antigen and the standard HIV test. Apparently reliability is over 99%. Results were negative.
The only reason I'm getting a bit concerned is that at 6 weeks post sex I got a chest infection which took 2 weeks to shake. I had a week's respite and I then havecome down with another viral infection which i've had for the last 9 days and just does not want to go.
My questions are as follows:
1) Do you agree with the stats for the effectiveness of the Duo test? 2) Is 6 weeks post "exposure" usually too long to get primary ARS symptoms and are they usually worse than a chest infection? 3) Should I test at 90 days or stop being a muppet and woo-hoo?
Cheers & God bless - donation on the way!!
Response from Dr. Frascino
1. The published guidelines continue to recommend HIV-antibody testing at the three-month mark. Certainly the newer testing assays are getting better at detecting HIV earlier, but I cannot confirm the reliability statistics you mention in your question.
2. Acute retroviral syndrome (ARS) symptoms generally manifest themselves at two to three weeks after primary HIV infection. An isolated "chest infection" at six weeks is not consistent with HIV ARS.
3. I'd recommend both!
Thanks for your donation to The Robert James Frascino AIDS Foundation (www.concertedeffort.org). In return I'll send my good-luck/good-health karma that your definitive three-month test remains negative. (I strongly anticipate it will.)
Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS
- Swallowing Cum How Long Does It Take To Test Positive For AIDS
- Vaginal Fluid How Long Does It Take To Test Positive For HIV
- Are Red Spots A Symptom Of AIDS?
- Is Flu Symptoms A Symptom Of Acute HIV Infection?
- Odds Of Getting HIV Blowjob From A Prostitute
- Diarrhea After Unprotected Vaginal Sex Worried I Have HIV
This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.
Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.