Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Help a Marine out?
Apr 21, 2008

Hi Doctor Bob, I was hoping if you could answer my question. I'm currently a single ex-marine who has been out of the service for some time now. The last sexual encounter I had took place in 2002. Prior to that I've had numerous other encounters (primarily with CSW's overseas in Thailand, China, and other Asian countries). Recently I saw a commercial pertaining to HIV testing and it really struck me hard - Why haven't I been tested!!?? Again, my last exposure was in 2002. I've been reading up on the 'window period'. I keep seeing things pertaining to testing somewhere around 3 - 6 months but what about after that? Recently I developed a slight case of floaters, white tongue (could be from poor oral hygiene) and the occasional headache or two. My local clinic ONLY offers Oraquick Oral Advance tests, but coming across numerous websites (especially government sites), they always report extremely rare but possible cases of false-positives exclusively in the oral type test. Should I even bother getting tested or fly out to a larger city to get a Western Blot test done? With the Oral test, if it comes back negative, can I bet my life on it? I need your help Doctor Bob. Take care, God Bless.

Semper Fi

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hello Ex-Marine,

HIV-antibody tests (ELISA, EIA, oral rapid tests, etc.) taken prior to the three-month mark are not considered to be definitive. However, these tests can be done (and remain accurate) anytime after three months. That includes many years later!

OraQuick Oral Advance tests work well for initial HIV screening. A negative test outside the "window period" (three months) is considered definitive and conclusive. A positive test is considered only "preliminarily positive" and requires confirmation with a Western Blot or IFA (immunofluorescent assay). Sensitivity and specificity of rapid tests is consistently greater than 99%. (Occasional false-positives can occur, but as indicated above, these would only be considered "preliminary" results and the follow-up, more specific, Western Blot would identify the preliminary result as a "false" positive).

So, do you need to fly to a larger city to get tested? No, absolutely not. If your oral test comes back negative, can you bet your life on it? Yep! Absolutely!

Good luck.

Dr. Bob

Previous
What is the risk?
Next
Thanks

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.