I have started to reach out to others (FALSE POSITIVE PCR)

I have been reading your outstanding outlook on HIV and AID since my big "egg donor/pcr false + test" and I began to look for others who need guidance. I go on Yahoo answers now for HIV related questions. As I have always been a big std/sexual health buff...well lets just say I give my share of lectures. I love it, I love to teach and open the eyes to the people who really don't "get it". I will soon be an lvn while I am enrolled in a Bachelor's RN program. Then one day maybe once I hit my mid thirties a Nurse practitioner. I say all of this because it will all be towards being there for HIV positive/at risk/or just plain afraid of it all humans. It seems to be all I study about, I mean aside from what I am learning in school. I find myself researching HIV, every day. It is the most fascinating topic I have ever come across. I sometimes spend 5 or more hours researching it per day (your site being my first hit, with your responses being my favorite). I really hope to be even somewhat like you. I guess I want to say that I view you as a huge hero in my life and strive to be like you. You answer these monotonous questions with compassion over and over. Its like you for the most part never judge or belittle people for their questions. No matter how retarded they may seem, or insensitive to where you stand as virilly enhanced. I really admire you, and hope to gain a similar understanding of our fellow positives. I have to say I have never really felt I could pick a hero. But you are definately my Hero. I think that you are an astounding human whos Karma will extend itself through every life yet to come. I love who you are!

Amanda

Hi Amanda,

I think you will be a wonderfully compassionate and effective health care professional. I'm delighted to have you onboard the HIV/AIDS-awareness team!

Be well. Continue to spread the truth about HIV/AIDS. Together our concerted efforts can and will stem the tide of this pandemic.

I still don't belive it's a "false positive PCR" Jun 3, 2007

Hi, I had a "false positive" pcr result last year and still cannot get over it and believe that I am actually going to be okay. I have been an egg donor on and off for the past 3 years or so and was constantly being tested, at first they were ELISA but FDA changed guidelines and required PCR's. I had about 12 or more tests performed in the last 3 1/2 years (was pregnant in between donations). I am married, manogamous and my only possible risk factor was a permanent makeup tattoo in August of last year. I saw a brand new needle being used and standard precautions being followed. I had a negative PCR two or so months after than in Dec. had a positive PCR. I of course flipped out and had to stop in the middle of my egg cycle and dissapoint alot of people. They ran an ELISA on my husband and I, both were negative and a couple of weeks later another PCR on me which was also negative. They said I should be fine. The problem is I still have constant anxiety attacks over this. I have always had a horrible fear of contracting this virus and was'nt vary carefull in my teens. I would always be convinced that somehow I had "IT". So my question is am I free and clear, I won't talk to my doctor about this because If I ever did end up being infected I would'nt want the "system" knowing and my name being in some data base as "infected". I'm also too scared to go and get tested again, I don't ever want to go through what I went through again.

Thanks

Your case once again demonstrates why I don't recommend PCR testing for routine HIV screening! Your positive PCR was unquestionably a "false positive," as definitively determined by your subsequent negative ELISA and follow-up PCR. This is overwhelming and incontrovertible evidence that you are HIV negative. If you are having trouble accepting this fact, you may need psychological counseling. Bring a copy of your question and my response to your first session, as it may well help focus your therapy and speed your ability to conquer your irrational and unwarranted fears.

Good luck. Remember HIV is not your problem. No way. No how. OK?

Woo Freakin Hoo Mar 18, 2008

Hi Dr. B I just wanted to tell you what a wonderful person, Doctor and soul you are. I have read through your articles for strength and hope. Not to mention my obsession. I was the egg donor with a false positive PCR and Neg Elisa then Neg PCR. I was, to say the least an emotional basket case. I'd say for a year or more. I took a rapid, oh 5 months or so ago and of course was negative. I mean I knew I was. I am going into Nursing and I realized that if a patient came to me with the same story, I would have guided them to see the big "duh" they were too scared to see. The "you are not positive duh". I have put myself sexually at risk far more in the past than where I stand now (monogamous 4 years+),the time I felt I had it the most. I used to constantly convince myself I had "it". Even back when I was 16. I would test obsessively, every three months if not 6. I had my Doctor tell me No she would not test me again. She felt I would get a false positive after so many times, then asked me if I was promiscuous. Yah I was, and at the age of 16 felt the need to test every exposure and thereafter. Yet I wasn't comfortable talking about that part of it, I just wanted my tests done with every risk. My risk was probably at around 25 unprotected exposures, so I felt well warranted about the testing frequency. So I guess I wouldn't change a thing, well maybe exposures. Now after all of my very real and debilitating fears I felt. I am now really able to guide and educate people (totally without judgement) about dealing with, avoiding, learning about, and handling their fear of HIV infection. Kind of like You getting the disease caused you to be the biggest support medically and emotionally for thousands of people afflicted.

You Rock!

Thanks for taking the time to write and share your story and ultimate good news. WOO-de-freakin'-HOO indeed! I do believe your personal experience will indeed enable you to help others with similar unwarranted irrational fears.

Let's rock together, eh?

Stay well.

Probability of Being Infected (DOUBLE BAGGING) (USING TWO CONDOMS)
You're the best