Risk ?

Dr. Bob I am a married 51 year old male. I was diagnosed HIV postive about 5 years ago. I may have contacted the virus as long as late as 10 years ago. I have participated in the elite progessor study because I have been undetectable without medication since I was diagnosed. My doctor did a DNA test no virus was found,therefore I aws re-tested(WB) and it was reactive. My wife and I are working to become sexually active again but there is the question of risk. Could you helps with risk chances and possible preventive actions that will reassured both of us .

Congratulations on your elite controller status! I hope you are continuing to be followed by one of the elite controller clinical trials. We could potentially have much to learn from your immune system!

Regarding infectiousness, we know that when antiretroviral drugs are used to drive HIV plasma viral loads to undetectable levels, the risk of HIV transmission is markedly decreased. How infectious is an elite controller with an undetectable viral load? We really don't know, because there are so few of you to study! Basically I would just recommend "routine" safer sex practices, i.e. latex or polyurethane condoms for penetrative sex.

Good luck to you and your wife.

WAKE UP CALL ON DISCLOSURE
Eating at restaurant