The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Worried HIV Case Manager

Apr 18, 2008

Dear Dr. Bob,

I feel embarrassed to ask this question but I have to. I am a case manager for HIV positive people. I interact with my clients alot. We hold a support group and plan activities together. Part of my job is to also educate the community on HIV, which is why i feel even more embarrased to ask this. I have clients who have sores on their skin. The sores don't ooze blood or anything but they are sores non the less. My question is, could I be exposed to HIV by maybe having skin to skin contact with my clients. Lately i have been very sick. I have been getting the flu on and off. Yes, I know its crazy but sometimes i think I might have become infected somehow. HELP! please!

Response from Dr. Frascino


No reason to be embarrassed about asking a question here! Have you taken a gander at the archives? Absolutely no topic is off limits or out of bounds on this site! After all it's all about life, love, sex, drugs and rock 'n' roll! (Well actually I prefer classical music, but you know what I mean.)

Regarding your HIV question, HIV cannot permeate intact skin. No way. No how. It can permeate mucous membranes (lining of the vagina, urethra, etc.). Consequently if an HIVer's "sore" comes in contact with your intact skin, there would be no transmission risk. However, it's always good hygiene to keep sores covered with a Band-Aid whether you are HIV positive or not.

Dr. Bob

What is save??
hiv and herpes

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

 Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint