Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

i will donate please help u email before {wb undetmined infor}
Apr 17, 2008

ok,i had unprotected sex in dec around the week of the 12 in 2007. lik 3 weeks after that i took a pcr dna test with elisa test and both were negative i was still worry and took the same tests again at the 45 day mark and both were still negative

then i took a elisa antibody alone in the 11 week and it was positive and wb was undeteminate this is what the wb said. gp160 AB Absent gp120 AB Absent p65 AB Absent p55 ab absent p51 ab absent gp41 ab absent gp40 ab absent p31 ab absent p24 ab absent p18 ab Equivocal

i waited a few days later which was 12 weeks after my unprotected sex and took a PCR DNA TEST WITH ELISA TEST-BOTH WERE NEGATIVE AND UNDETECTED.

I Also went to the health dept and told them what happen and they advised me to take a western blot alone. which i did and waited for like a week.

western blot came out. non-reactive for hiv1 hiv 2 and hiv antibody==meaning negative,

so can i move on now and take that test i took as a false positive

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hi,

Your ELISA at 12 weeks was negative. This is definitive and conclusive. HIV is not your problem. No way. No how. All of your confusion and worry would have been avoided if you merely followed the guidelines and recommendations and got an ELISA at 12 weeks as your initial HIV-screening test. What happened to you instead is similar to what happens to many other worriers who jump the gun and begin getting way too many tests way too early. In addition you even got tests that are not recommended for the HIV screening (PCR)!

So once again here are basic rules:

1. The recommended test for HIV screening is an HIV-antibody test (ELISA, rapid test, etc.).

2. HIV-antibody tests taken prior to the three-month mark are not considered to be definitive or conclusive.

3. PCR tests are not routinely recommended for HIV screening due to the rate of false-positive tests, other technical considerations and cost.

4. Western Blot tests should never be run without first having a repeatedly reactive (positive) ELISA or rapid test. (Western Blots are confirmatory tests only!)

To review your testing history:

1. Your three-week ELISA test: not definitive, as it was run too early.

2. Your three-week DNA PCR: not recommended, as PCR tests are not routinely recommended for screening (and not FDA approved for this purpose).

3. Your 45-day ELISA: not definitive (same reason as above).

4. Your 45-day DNA PCR: not recommended (same reason as above).

5. Your 11-week ELISA: not definitive (same reason as above).

6. Your 12-week negative ELISA is definitive and conclusive proof you are HIV negative.

7. Your 12-week DNA PCR: not recommended (same reasons as above).

As for your reactive ELISA and equivocal p18 antibody band on your 11-week test resulting in an "indeterminate" HIV test result, this is indeed a "falsely" positive ELISA and "falsely" equivocal p18 antibody band. Your negative ELISA at 12 weeks definitively proves the 11-week positive/equivocal/indeterminate results are false! (The negative DNA PCR at 12 weeks corroborates this fact even further.)

Bottom line: Your testing was excessive and premature and resulted in confusion and worry that would have been avoided if you followed the simple guidelines. HIV is not your problem. Impatience is!

Time to WOO-HOO!

Thanks for your donation to the Robert James Frascino AIDS Foundation (www.concertedeffort.org).

Be well.

Dr. Bob

Previous
Pregnancy with indeterminate hiv results (resubmitted from the fatigue and anemia forum)
Next
Help!!! Balding and Not Feeling So Beautiful

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.