Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Use condoms/Get tested
Apr 15, 2008

Mine is not a question more a tale to tell, and some advice to those who read this and still have unsafe sex or aint been tested. I last had unsafe sex 16 years, and thought niavely I was fine. Two years ago I lost over 4 stone in weight and developed purple/brown marks on my arms,legs, in fact about 50 of these all over my body. I eventually got tested and was told I had AIDS, KS, various other infections and my CD4 was 120 12% and VL through the roof. Because I waited to get tested I became very ill, something I regret hugely. With a great medical team and good adherence and tolernce to meds I am a lot better, VL <40 CD4 365 23%. The KS melted away but very slowly and weight came back very quickly. So everything is fine. No it is not. I still have problems such as early stage Castlemans, swollen Lymph nodes, huge anxieties and I lost my job. So to these people who ask whether safe sex is a good idea, read my story. To those who are frightened or unsure about getting tested, even if their last risky encounter was years ago, read my story and get checked. I dont want to lecture or moralise but only stop others going through it. Best wishes.

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hi,

Thank you for taking the time to write in and share your story and wise insights. I'm confident you just may have saved the lives of several anxious folks presently paralyzed with fear by encouraging them to get tested now. There is no doubt in my mind that if I had not been tested after my occupational exposure in January 1991 and just assumed everything was OK (or lived in denial of my exposure), I would be pushing up daisies at this very minute rather than enjoying this amazing double cappuccino at Peet's Coffee.

Dr. Bob

Previous
after 2 mos?
Next
AIDS but HIV Negative? (UNREALISTIC FEARS)

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.