HIV and syphilis
Apr 14, 2008
Please advise can having syphilis cause an HIV test to show positive??
Response from Dr. Frascino
No, syphilis would not cause false-positive HIV tests. However the reverse can happen. In other words HIV infection can cause false-positive (as well as false-negative) serologic results when screening for T. pallidum, the organism that causes syphilis.
Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS
- Are Swollen Lymph Glands An Ars Symptom?
- Are Swollen Lymph Nodes An Acute Symptom Of HIV?
- Does Dry Cough Mean I Have AIDS?
- Is Itchy Rash An Acute Symptom Of AIDS?
- How Likely Is It To Get AIDS From Sex With A Prostitute?
- Blood In Semen After Unprotected Anal Sex Without Ejaculation Does It Mean I Have HIV
This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.
Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.