DONATED NEED HELP

DOC,

Well I had a question I had protected sex with a questionable women in thailand. I used a DUREX brand condom. We had sex twice and again i did use a condom. I was drunk and she caught me and kissed me with her tounge in my mouth. So i ask can I get transmission through kissing. After intercourse I inspected the condom and there was no leaks. But about 4 days later i have had some weird feelings in my groin region like an aching. I have 2 questions. 1. What is my transmission risk? 2. Where is my groin lymph nodes and if they were swollen how much would they bulge out. And what is the most common symptom of ARS.

Thanks DOC

Your question is very similar to many others in the archives. Check it out! Briefly, your transmission risk for condom-protected vaginal sex would be essentially nonexistent, assuming the latex condom did not fail (break). Kissing is not considered to be a significant HIV-transmission risk, unless there were extenuating circumstances (i.e. both kisser and kissee actively bleeding, allowing for blood-to-blood virus transmission, etc.). As the old song goes: "You must remember this, a kiss is just a kiss, as time goes by . . . ."

2. There are a variety of lymph nodes throughout the groin region. The most easily felt are those along the crease where the legs attach to the nether regions. As for how much they "bulge out," that's very variable from person to person.

3. The most common symptom of ARS is fever. (See below.)

Thanks for your donation to the Robert James Frascino AIDS Foundation (www.concertedeffort.org).

What exactly are the symptoms of ARS? Nov 15, 2005

Dr. Bob,

Hi there. I've been reading through many of the postings in this forum. Most of the people who write-in are labeled "worried wells" and you tell them that their symptoms are not consistent with the true symptoms of ARS.

I was wondering if you could share with us what you believe the true symptoms of ARS to be. I've found lots of websites describing them, but I want to hear it from a reputable and definitive source such as yourself.

Thanks a lot.

Sure, just check the archives. I've discussed this many times before. I'll repost below just one of the questions that addresses the signs and symptoms associated with primary HIV infection.

Stay well. Be informed, not worried, O.K.?

Me again! Aug 14, 2005

Hi DOc,

You responded to my initial question a few weeks back - thank you so much. You also responded to my partner who was recently diagnosed positive - that was so helpful. Incidentally, I think it was the first time he used a computer in his life - so you achieved more than I have with him there!

Anyway, sorry to bother you again - its now 8 / 9 weeks since my last exposure - I think I am imagining swollen glands all the time! Could you kindly answer two small questions. Firstly, how long after infection do people normally get ARS and symptoms? Secondly, what symmptoms are characteristic?

Thankyou for helping. My partner is being really strong - andw e will get through this together, I love that american term worry well - yes I am a british one of those, sorry!! xx

Hi Brit-Boy,

You're welcome!

Chances are you are indeed "imagining" swollen glands all the time. Regarding ARS, symptoms generally appear 1-3 weeks of contracting the virus. Sometimes symptoms may not appear until 4-6 weeks. It is called a syndrome (Acute Retroviral Syndrome), because it is a collection of symptoms that can be extremely variable form person to person. In fact, symptoms alone are notoriously unreliable in predicting HIV infection. It is estimated that 40-90% of acutely infected folks will have some ARS symptoms. But to specifically answer your question, the following is a list of symptoms associated with ARS and the percentage of time the symptoms are present:

Fever 96%

Adenopathy 74%

Pharyngitis 70%

Rash 70%

Myalgias 54%

Headache 32%

Diarrhea 32%

Nausea or vomiting 27%

Hepatosplenomegaly 14%

Thrush 12%

Neurologic symptoms 12%

The duration of symptoms is generally 1-3 weeks.

Regarding your lover's use of the computer, now that he's discovered the wonders of Internet look out!!!! He just may get so hooked that the only way you'll be able to converse with him is via IM-ing!

Good luck!

Iraqi Guy
Good news!