handjob with a cut in serodiscordant

Hi Dr. Bob, Congratulations for your fantastic job. I am happy in a serodiscordant gay relationship for 6 months (I am the negative one). Sometimes I am scared with some possible risky activities. Once I brushed my teeth with his teethbrush. We use to share the same nail clippers (but never seen blood on it). The worse thing was 2 weeks ago he ejaculated on my and exactly on a small cut that the scab was not completely formed. Do you think I am considerably at risk? I am very worried! Many thanks and a big hug.

Do I think you are at considerable risk because your HIV-positive Mr. Right ejaculated on a small cut with an incompletely formed scab? No, I do not. Similarly, having used his toothbrush once also does not constitute significant HIV risk. I would advise several things:

1. You and your partner should read through the information in the archives pertaining to magnetic couples, HIV transmission and HIV prevention. You should find the information there enlightening and reassuring.

2. You should discuss with your partner's HIV specialist what to do in case you sustain a significant accidental exposure to HIV (for instance a broken condom). He may provide you with a starter dose of PEP (post-exposure prophylaxis) or advise you take a dose of your partner's combination regimen or provide you with a prescription to be filled. In any case, it's comforting to have a plan "just in case."

3. If your partner is on antiretroviral medications and his viral load is suppressed to undetectable levels, you should be reassured to know that HIV-transmission risk would be significantly decreased. If he is not on antiretrovirals or if his viral load is not suppressed to undetectable levels, you might discuss this with him and his HIV specialist. Many magnetic couples are using this as a harm-reduction technique. You can also read more about this in the archives. One other option would be to enroll in one of the clinical trials evaluating PrEP (pre-exposure prophylaxis). The jury is still out on whether this will turn out to be significantly effective or not, but it may well offer one additional level of protection.

4. Be sure to discuss your concerns with your partner. Communication is key in all relationships and perhaps even more crucial in serodiscordant couples.

5. Finally, if you are concerned about a low-grade potential exposure, the option of getting a rapid HIV test at the three-month mark is always available to you.

As you probably know, I too am part of a magnetic coupling. I am "virally enhanced" and the love of my life (for the past 14 years and counting) Steve (Dr. Steve, the expert in The Body's Tratamientos forum) is HIV negative. From one magnetic couple to another, we wish you your very own "happily ever after." Remember, opposites attract!

Be well. Stay well. Cyber-hugs received and returned with pleasure.

me again: inconclusive??
Help please! (CAN YOU GIVE YOURSELF HIV/AIDS)