Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Thank You...but (reposted from anemia and fatigue)
Apr 8, 2008

Hello again Dr. bob. You may remember me as the guy who thought he contracted HIV by having protected sex for 5 min. and unprotected oral with a girl he met at a bar. The guy who then passed the virus on to his girlfriend by having one time protected sex and unprotected oral sex. Or the guy who then passed it on to his family through the use of a toothbrush. Or you may not remember me at all in the ridiculous amount of stories you must hear everyday.

I want to say thank you. I took the advise that you gave me in your last response and it probably saved my life. I came clean to my girlfriend and family. I also received mental help. Both my family and my girlfriend received negative test results, and I have tested negative for antibodies out to 6 months. Also If you remember I was tested for all STDS including HEP A,B,C, and 2 PCR DNA tests and all tests where negative. Life is beautiful WHAHOOO!

but

My girlfriend and I are still sharing symptoms of something. We both have white spots on our rigid fingernails, we both have frequent noisy stomachs, Severe chest pain (right in the center of the chest). I can't speak for her on this but I have really sore hands and arms, sore bones. I also have a mass in my liver area, I had an ultra sound that came back normal but the pain and lump are still there.

On other sites (which I have stopped looking at) these are listed as symptoms of hiv. On this site I have read people writing in and complaining of these same symptoms and your response has been "these symptoms are not ARS symptoms and are not consistent with HIV". I believe you. So my question is:

What do we all have? LOL. But seriously. Besides the apparent mental illness, what is giving many of us the same symptoms? noisy stomachs, sore bones, finger nail fungus? I'm sure there is a multitude of diseases and viruses that cause these symptoms, but have you had anybody write you back after finding out the actual cause of their symptoms? And if so is there a consistent answer?

But to get back to my original thought, Thank You for your help. I was borderline suicidal over this. Your words really did save my life. Thanks

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hello,

Oh yes, I remember you well. I'm delighted your whacko-nutso totally irrational perseveration on HIV has resolved with the help of mental health counseling, HIV tests and leveling with your girlfriend and family. Honesty is never a bad idea! So WOO-de-frickin'-HOO!!!

As for your "but . . . ," unfortunately I cannot diagnose medical conditions over the Internet. (I don't have access to your complete medical history or laboratory tests or the benefit of a physical examination.) Plus, this is an HIV/AIDS Web site, not a general medicine Web site. I can't tell you what you have, but I can tell you what you don't have. You don't have HIV!

Regarding your symptoms, you are correct: "There are a multitude of diseases that can cause these symptoms." Has anyone ever written me back after finally finding out the actual cause of their "noisy stomach" or "sore hands and arms," etc.? Yes, of course, it happens all the time. "Is there a consistent answer" to these problems? No, of course not. You yourself just said there are a "multitude of diseases" that could cause these problems.

My advice is simple:

1. Work with a good general internist to evaluate your persistent or bothersome medical problems.

2. Continue to work with your mental health counselor to assure your irrational fixation on HIV does not resurface.

3. Continue to celebrate your WOO-HOO!

Dr. Bob

Previous
I am not going to stop?
Next
what are my chances of infection?

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.