Dry blood + some symptoms

Dear Doc, I am a worried mother of a 2 year old boy. We had the following situation: my son slept on a pillow that had dry blood of a HIV+ person on it. The blood was from about an year ago and besides the pillow had a clean pillow - case on it. He seem to have had a scratch on his cheek that i don't think was bleeding during his sleep. I would have forgotten about that but 3 weeks later my son had fever for 3 days and then he received a rash (on his chest, stomach, back, behind the ears, the back of his neck, and a few on one of his arms) and a little swollen lymph nodes - he was diagnosed to have rubella by the pediatrician. The symptoms passed for 5 days (the rash dissappeared in about two days). I really need your competent evaluation of the situation. Is there something I should worry about or I am just paranoic about it? Shall I take him for a test or we forget about the situation as a simple coincidence? Thank you very much in advance!

Your son's HIV-acquisition risk from year-old dried blood on a pillow is completely nonexistent. HIV testing is not recommended. His illness three weeks later has absolutely nothing to do with HIV and sounds very much like classic rubella. Your worries are completely unwarranted. You can read more about how HIV is and is not transmitted in the archives of this forum.

Condom Brke up
RN stuck with HIV infected blunt tip needle