Condom Brke up

I am HIV possitive but my partner isn't. The matter is that I was having sex with my partner and the condom broke up and we didn't realize on that and I cum inside of him. What can I do? My viral load is 74 and my cd4 are on 1143. The next thing that I did when we figured it out was to give him a pill from my treatment. I'm having Abacavir Lamivudina+Zidoduvina. I would appreciate your answer as soon as possible. Thanx.

For accidental but significant HIV exposures due to condom failure, we would recommend a 28-day course of PEP (post-exposure prophylaxis). Giving your partner a dose of your Trizivir (abacavir, lamivudina, zidovudine) was an excellent idea. I urge you to call your HIV specialist and advise him what happened. Chances are he will prescribe the remaining 27 days of therapy and agree to follow your partner during his treatment. If, for whatever reason, your HIV specialist is unwilling or unable to do this for you and your partner, your partner should go to an emergency room or urgent care center to get PEP. Optimally he should have an HIV specialist monitor him during his treatment to evaluate and manage any PEP-related toxicities or side effects. The HIV specialist would also arrange for and interpret the post-PEP follow-up HIV tests (out to six months from the time of exposure). You can read much more about PEP as well as general information about magnetic couples (one positive, one negative) in the archives of this forum.

Good luck to both you and your partner.

High Risk Exposure - Please answer
Dry blood + some symptoms