science is supposed to be fun, not anxiety provoking!

Dearest Dr Bob!

Hope you remember the desperate swedish scientist from some years ago. Well, I am still desperate... What is even more desperate is that I am still desperate about essentially the same thing,namely the human melanoma cell line that I work with. It was tested initially,like back in 1972 or something and it came out negative for all kinds of viruses. Since that time many labs have worked with it, incl ours. I guess, no testing since the first one... Somehow anything I do with this line scares the shit out of me every single time. It is most likely OCD, but I wanted to ask you about some incidents anyway, to get your expert opinion.

1) after the cells of this line sitting on coverslips were fixed in 2% paraformaldehyde for 30 min RT and treated with 0.2% TritonX100 5' RT and washed in PBS, I gently tapped them on Kleenex and after some minutes used that same Kleenex to wipe my nose! stupid! If I did touch the mucous membrane inside my nose, will I be at risk? According to your answers on similar questions,probably not.Eh?

2) While pipetting lysates from these cells (in 0.5% TritonX100) got a very small amount of lysates on my gloves, turned them inside out and checked for leaks by filling them with running H2O; the water poured over on my bare fingers where I had a non-bleeding hangnail. Risk? Hopefully no risk.

I hope it's not too boring to answer my questions, I would really appreciate your input.

Hope the democrats win this time!Will hold fy thumbs for that to happen.

Thanks alot From Stockholm with love

1. HIV risk: nonexistent.

2. HIV risk: nonexistent.

Your worries continue to be completely unwarranted. If you are so concerned about that particular cell line, why not screen it for HIV? The results will undoubtedly be negative and your science will return to being fun instead of anxiety provoking.

What should i do, please help.
2 non confirming western blots