Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
  Breaking News: FDA Approves Triumeq, New Once-Daily Combination Pill

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Hello from Dorothy and Toto!!
Apr 4, 2008

Dr. Bob,

Hello from Kansas!

Well today was test day for me. First I want to thank you for your tireless work. I have emailed you several times and you have answered me queries in the past. Thank you!! I have donated before and will do so again as I feel this cause to be so important.

Today I went to see my PCP. Blood was drawn and I now await my test results. I will be crushed when I get my results back as I am undoubtedly HIV+. But if you could spare a good thought or two for me, it would mean the world to me.

I tested via Home Access last May (2007). The result was negative, but I have never trusted the result as I have endured very real advanced HIV symptoms since then. (1) Occasional neuropathy in my legs and arms, (2) gastrointestinal distress, (3) loss of lean muscle and testicular/penile atrophy, (4) erectile dysfunction, (5) sleep problems and night sweats every once in a while, and (6) a constant severe dry mouth.

My female partner (fiance) was tested early in our relationship and was negative. I have never been able to accept my Home Access result but rather have accepted that it was the result of a bad sample I drew or a result of clerical/technical error in the ELISA test.

I am not sure what direction I will head in after this as my life will be forever changed. I only wish I could be a fraction as strong and inspirational as you. But alas, I cannot.

Having my blood drawn today made me realize how the home Access DBS (dried blood spot) method can be in error. So much less blood than actually having a sample drawn. How can they even re-test the dried blood spot if your test is positive? Maybe I was just "lucky" with the Home Access test and no detectable HIV antibodies were in that small sample. Who knows, who will ever know.

Anyway, a big hug from Kansas. This will likely be my last email to you.

Thanks for everything,

A sad Jyhawk

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hello Sad Jyhawk, Dorothy and Toto,

You are certain that your negative Home Access test was a false negative and that you are "undoubtedly HIV+." I, on the other hand, am quite certain that your Home Access test was absolutely accurate and that you are indeed HIV negative. Care to make a wager on who turns out to be ultimately correct????

Jyhawk, Dorothy, or Toto (or whomever), if we consider the events in the Land of Oz, I would suggest the part of the Cowardly Lion might fit you best, as your fears are totally unwarranted.

I tend to doubt this will be your last e-mail to me. I'll bet there will be at least one more exclaiming that your blood test is once again negative. By the way, this will come as a big surprise only to you! At that point you'll either yell WOO-HOO or choose not to believe the results once again. Don't you think it's high time you clicked the heels of your ruby slippers and returned home from your self-inflicted worried-well hell? Ding-dong the witch is dead and so should be your worries about being HIV infected!

Dr. Bob

Previous
can i woo-hoo too? (TESTING GUIDELINES)
Next
RESPONSE TO CHURCH LADY!!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.