Hello from Dorothy and Toto!!

Dr. Bob,

Hello from Kansas!

Well today was test day for me. First I want to thank you for your tireless work. I have emailed you several times and you have answered me queries in the past. Thank you!! I have donated before and will do so again as I feel this cause to be so important.

Today I went to see my PCP. Blood was drawn and I now await my test results. I will be crushed when I get my results back as I am undoubtedly HIV+. But if you could spare a good thought or two for me, it would mean the world to me.

I tested via Home Access last May (2007). The result was negative, but I have never trusted the result as I have endured very real advanced HIV symptoms since then. (1) Occasional neuropathy in my legs and arms, (2) gastrointestinal distress, (3) loss of lean muscle and testicular/penile atrophy, (4) erectile dysfunction, (5) sleep problems and night sweats every once in a while, and (6) a constant severe dry mouth.

My female partner (fiance) was tested early in our relationship and was negative. I have never been able to accept my Home Access result but rather have accepted that it was the result of a bad sample I drew or a result of clerical/technical error in the ELISA test.

I am not sure what direction I will head in after this as my life will be forever changed. I only wish I could be a fraction as strong and inspirational as you. But alas, I cannot.

Having my blood drawn today made me realize how the home Access DBS (dried blood spot) method can be in error. So much less blood than actually having a sample drawn. How can they even re-test the dried blood spot if your test is positive? Maybe I was just "lucky" with the Home Access test and no detectable HIV antibodies were in that small sample. Who knows, who will ever know.

Anyway, a big hug from Kansas. This will likely be my last email to you.

Thanks for everything,

A sad Jyhawk

Hello Sad Jyhawk, Dorothy and Toto,

You are certain that your negative Home Access test was a false negative and that you are "undoubtedly HIV+." I, on the other hand, am quite certain that your Home Access test was absolutely accurate and that you are indeed HIV negative. Care to make a wager on who turns out to be ultimately correct????

Jyhawk, Dorothy, or Toto (or whomever), if we consider the events in the Land of Oz, I would suggest the part of the Cowardly Lion might fit you best, as your fears are totally unwarranted.

I tend to doubt this will be your last e-mail to me. I'll bet there will be at least one more exclaiming that your blood test is once again negative. By the way, this will come as a big surprise only to you! At that point you'll either yell WOO-HOO or choose not to believe the results once again. Don't you think it's high time you clicked the heels of your ruby slippers and returned home from your self-inflicted worried-well hell? Ding-dong the witch is dead and so should be your worries about being HIV infected!

can i woo-hoo too? (TESTING GUIDELINES)
RESPONSE TO CHURCH LADY!!