HIV Indeterminate Test - Previous Questions Not Making Sense

Dr. Bob,

In reading your other forums I got some information but I need it to be more particular in my case. Aka dumb it down and make it specific for me.

In Jan. 08 I got my yearly Pap Smear and I threw in my STD check. I get tested every 6 months and this time it was different. I have had only 1 sexual partner since Jan 07 and we are monogamous. I got my entire screening but I got an Indeterminate WB Test. My OB-GYN told me that it was a follow up test to another one. She didnt specifically say if it was ELISA or not. The p24 was present but "abnormal". I got tested again in 4 weeks and the results were the same. Still the p24 was present but abnormal.

So here is the real question. What should I do now?

Should I got elsewhere and do the long list of tests? Start with the ELISA and if that is positive move on to the WB? And if that is still indeterminate should I move on to a Viral Load and p24 Antigen Test?

Frankly, the results of the will determine my future. My boyfriend and I have spoken on marriage and children - but we are putting everything off until this is either positive or negative. This false-positive crap doesnt cut it.

I appreciate your time and I look forward to your response.

Your predicament is identical to that of many other folks who have written in over the years. Check out the archives of this forum for their testimonials. You can also read much more about indeterminate HIV tests there.

Your HIV risk is essentially nonexistent; consequently, your HIV test should be (and most likely will turn out to be) negative.

I would suggest you repeat your ELISA and if it's repeatedly reactive (positive) the lab should proceed with a Western Blot test on the same blood specimen. If the initial ELISA or confirmatory Western Blot is negative, you are HIV negative. If the ELISA and Western Blot are both positive (highly unlikely), you'll need additional evaluation from an HIV specialist. If the ELISA is positive and the Western Blot is again indeterminate, you should get a qualitative HIV DNA PCR test to sort out the unclear results.

Write back with your results. I'm willing to bet you'll be WOO-HOOing.

Sir bob...A damsel in distress needs your help!
A God Bless You--Sin is a Sin; GAY OR NOT