CD4 count of 40

Hi I have not been taking my meds and just found out I am pregnant and my CD4 count is 40. I was told I can not keep my baby because I will get extremely sick. I am scheduled to have an abortion. What is the worst that can happen to me if I decide to keep my baby.

I would suggest you get a second opinion on your options from both a certified HIV specialist physician and an HIV-knowledgeable obstetrician. I don't know how far along you are in your pregnancy and since you have not been taking your medications I have no way of knowing how well you would respond to antiretroviral therapy. Consequently I cannot directly respond to your question. There is no doubt a CD4 count of 40 is very low and places you at increased risk for developing an HIV-related opportunistic infection or malignancy. I'm also very concerned that you have not been taking your medications and that this has allowed your CD4 count to fall to such a dangerous level. Why haven't you been taking your medications? Second, I'm concerned that you are pregnant. This would mean that you have had unprotected sex, which in turn means you have placed your sexual partner at grave risk for acquiring HIV. I'm trying very hard not to be judgmental, but I do believe it's time for you to accept responsibility for your actions. Please note your actions affect not only your health, but also that of your unborn child and your sex partners.

Worried College Student, Desperate!!
NEED ANSWER PLEASE (ANOTHER CLUELESS CHURCH LADY SPOUTS OFF)