Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

HIV Risk
Mar 30, 2008

I have recently discovered that my husband (of 7 years) is having anonomous anal sex and is the receiving partner, and he doesn't know that I have found this out. I believe he may have been involved in this behavior for 2-3 years, maybe longer, and does it when he is travelling on business. According to what I have discovered about his behavior, apparently he uses condoms, and plays "safe" and asks the person if they are disease/drug free. How likely are those people answering honestly (or how likely is it that maybe they don't know they have HIV)? How safe can this be for me, and do I need to get HIV tested immediately? Does this mean he is gay?

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hello,

How honest are anonymous partners who hook up with traveling business men for hanky-panky on the down-low? Obviously no one knows.

How likely are they not to know their HIV status? Statistics estimate that 25% of the over-1,000,000 HIV-positive Americans have absolutely no idea they are infected.

How safe are you? If you are properly using latex condoms and they haven't failed (broken), your risk would be minimal. If you are not using protection, your risk is increased and HIV testing would certainly be warranted.

Does this mean your husband is gay? If indeed he's been having anonymous receptive backdoor action for the past two-three years, my keen sense of the obvious would lead me to believe this is more than a phase and his chances of being straight as a lawn dart are nonexistent. I think it's time you had a heart-to-heart conversation with your husband about exactly what type of business is being conducted on those business trips!

Dr. Bob

Previous
why am i worried,guilt??
Next
Help! Twig and berries not ripe for the picking!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.