Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Abstinence
Mar 30, 2008

Dear Dr. Bob: I had almost always unprotected sex as I have read on Internet that transmission of HIV from women to men is virtually nonexistent. Indeed I always tested negative. Finally I had unprotected sex with a woman who later confessed that she was positive. I was scared to death and even I had severe psychological problems. However again to my great surprise I tested negative after 3 and 8 month period. Yet I am so scared now that I practice total abstinence. However, I believe now that if I am really negative then the chance for a man to get HIV infection from a woman is almost the same as to expect from Dubya an intelligent speach in perfect English.

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hello,

There are over 34,000,000 people infected with HIV in the world today. The majority are men. If indeed you believe the chance of female-to-male HIV transmission is nonexistent (as in the chance of Dubya saying or doing anything remotely intelligent, let alone speak perfect English), then how did all those men get infected? I can assure you they are not all gay or I.V. drug users. Don't be foolish. Even though male-to-female HIV transmission is more efficient and therefore more likely, it has been well established scientifically that female-to-male spread is not merely a possibility; it's a reality. Please note not every HIV exposure leads to HIV transmission! In fact the vast majority do not, thankfully! However there is absolutely no doubt that having unprotected sex, whether male or female, is playing sexual Russian roulette! You'd have to be dumber than Dubya not to believe the facts!

Stay safe if you want to stay well.

Dr. Bob

Previous
please please answer
Next
Oral Sex repeated exposures

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.