Blood on ATM Machine

Dr Bob,

I cannot believe my luck (or lack thereof...)

I have just recovered from the testing and psychological effects of a blood exposure at a hospital.

A couple of days ago I used an ATM machine. After pressing the buttons and waiting for the cash to come out I noticed an area of the ATM had a bright red drip of blood, about 3 inches long on the side between the keys and the money dispenser. I dont know if it was still wet or not but it was definately fresh looking.

I did not touch this area but I am now worried that the person who left the blood there may have had blood on their fingers when touching the keys on the keypad. I could see no visible blood on my hand but wiped my hands with a baby wipe and then went home and washed my hands.

I looked at the keys on the keypad and could not see any obvious signs of blood, however the keys were dark coloured so I dont know!

What are the chances of catching HIV? My skin is intact but I am worried I have rubbed my eye or put my finger in my mouth after touching the keypad?

I am a complete wreck about this. Clearly this is just compounded from what I have just been through but I am worried sick. What do I do!?!?

Should I be tested?

Thanks in anticipation, Lea.

Hello Lea,

Your HIV risk is nonexistent and your fears completely unwarranted. I urge you to seek psychological help in confronting and hopefully conquering your irrational fears of contracting HIV. HIV testing is not warranted; however, counseling definitely is!

Antibody testing
Voting Obama, will it make a difference?