Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Very worried, blood in corner of eye
Mar 29, 2008

Dear Doctor,

I have read answers to some "blood drops in the eye" questions and some say they aren't at all at risk and others say to get tested. Here's my story. I was at the Medical Examiner's office watching an autopsy on an AIDS-infected prisoner. I was in full PPE, but I made a stupid mistake. I touched the corner of my eye with my gloved hand. When I looked at my finger I noticed a sort of "smear" of blood about less than a centimeter long on the tip of my finger. It was dry at this point and stained but I have no idea if it was wet when going near my eye. It had to have been only about 3 microliters of blood at most when wet. But anyway, if the blood was dry before going near my eye, which I would assume it was, how much of a chance do I hold of having contracted HIV? Just a side note: The ME said they let the body sit for a day or two when they autopsy an HIV/AIDS-infected person. Please help. I'm so worried and I have anxiety attacks every time I try to go get tested. Thank you so much in advance.

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hello,

Relax Max. Your HIV risk is nonexistent. First of all, if the cadaver was several days old, that would negate any HIV risk. Next, three microliters of blood on your glove that "touched the corner of (your) eye" would not be considered an HIV exposure. I see no cause for concern or HIV testing. However, I am concerned about your "anxiety attacks" every time you try to get tested. These irrational fears can cause significant psychological problems going forward. I would suggest you seek help from a psychologist to address your irrational fears of HIV.

Good luck.

Dr. Bob

Previous
I gave $100.00 Please answer
Next
kissing after oral sex

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.