didnt find it on the arcades!!

hi doctor Bob!!

i hope you are doing great!! i think that is great what you are doing here!! well i have a question for you.. i have looked through the arcades and i cant find an answer so i decided to ask you... i was raped several times.. 4 years ago and it was anal raping... that is the most traumatic experience in my life and i've been having lots of emotional problems since then... i havent told my husband all because im afraid he would think less of me or that i was guilty of what happend some how.. so i've been trying to put this behind me but i know that that kind of "sexual contact" is high risk for hiv and honestly my attacker didnt use a condom and he left me very hurt.. so i started to panic about hiv... i had had several ELISA tests since then and all have been negative but i read that some primary inmunodeficiencies can cause a false negative.. i know i didnt have that when i was born but what about the common variable inmunodeficiency?? i read this is diagnosed in adulthood.. so im very worried and my question is: did you know if common variable inmunodeficiency or any other primary inmunodeficiency (besides ammaglobulinemia) can cause a false neg result?? do i need a different test or im a on the clear and can i move on with my life and try to start my emotional healing?? please answer me this one... when you have time... thanks for your time!

worried..

Hello Worried,

You didn't find the information you were looking for in the "arcades"??? Hmm . . . I'm not surprised. An "arcade" is a commercial establishment featuring rows of coin-operated games (or porno videos!). The "archives," on the other hand, are a collection of documents of historical interest (such as all my previous responses to other questioners concerned about sexual experiences in "arcades" and elsewhere!).

Regarding your specific question, common variable immunodeficiency disease (CVID) should not be a concern for you. If you had CVID you would already know it because you would be having difficulty controlling certain infections. Common Variable Immunodeficiency Disease is characterized by having low gammaglobulin levels and recurrent bacterial infections, like sinusitis, bronchitis, pneumonia, ear infections, etc. Treatment includes antibiotics and possibly periodic intravenous gammaglobulin infusions. CVID would not necessarily affect the results of HIV-antibody tests. The immunoglobulin deficiencies associated with CVID are, not surprisingly, "variable," as the name implies. However, there are no reports of CVID specifically affecting anti-HIV antibody production that I am aware of. If your negative ELISA tests were taken beyond the window period, they should be considered definitive and conclusive. Rape is indeed both physically and emotionally traumatic. Your fears of guilt and shame, although completely unwarranted, are extremely common. I would strongly urge you to both level with your husband and seek professional counseling to help you confront your feelings related to this unfortunate and criminal event. Do you need additional or different HIV testing? No, however you do need help with your "emotional healing."

Food and Atripla
HPV/Anal Cancer (HUMAN PAPILLOMA VIRUS) (HPV)