I'm worried - (SLIGHT CORRECTION) ( "resubmitted form the Fatigue and Anemia Forum." )

ON MARCH 1ST I, while at work on the psychiatric unit stuck or scraped my had against a cactus plant which is located in the corridor of the open unit...i thought little of it at the time and imediately washed the hand with a soap /bleach solution. I was scheduled to donate some blood 4 days later so i called the HIV specialist and asked him if i should be worried about such an injury he said no and that i should be more worried about a plant based virus/bacteria than hiv. I donated the blood 4 days later on the 5th and they said if anything was wrong they would call me; they haven't...now 16 days later.

1. What tests do they perform on donated blood GENERALLY...viral load...etc and would it ,if they tested for it, be detected after 4 days? 2. 2 weeks after that episode(14th) i developed joint pain (ONGOING) and muscle pain( I did run two 25 meter races at my son's athletic pre school race programe - thus maybe the soreness for 3 days -not sure though)and some neck pain ..no rash...swollen nodes..no fever observed...no sore throat..no coated tongue.

The only known hiv pos. patient was not observed to have been stuck prior to my taking up duty....i asked him if he was stuck by the cactus plant and he said no.

I will say that i dont know if any positive patient was stuck before me...still im worried..i have two kids 3yrs and 1yr.

A response will be cherished

Im concern about how long the virus can live outside the body in the amount of blood that maybe could be on a few cactus needles.

Im a Nurse Psychiatric trained.

ps:In addition to my first post ( same tittle)..i forgot to add that im experiencing an overall body itch (not bad)and a general overall tingly feeling throughout my body mostly face and inside both arms between elbows and wrist (not persistent on both counts.)

CONSIDER THIS AND THE ORIGINAL POST AS ONE..

Hello Psychiatric Nurse,

Your HIV-acquisition risk is nonexistent and your fears, completely unwarranted. I absolutely agree with the opinion you were given by the other HIV specialist you contacted. HIV is not your problem. No way. No how.

Stop worrying about a disease you could not possibly have. I'm disappointed you didn't learn more about HIV transmission in nursing school! Hopefully your psychiatric training taught you more about how to cope with irrational fears and unwarranted anxiety because that's exactly what you have!

Feedback
Am I in the clear?