Semen eye contact

Dear Dr. Frascino: About 3 hours ago someone came a little bit in my eye. I read your response to "Aussie" about his fear of infection, but was wondering if you could be more specific. I called the CDC and they said the possibility of infection exists, which flipped me out. Your column said the risk is .09%, which I take to mean 9/100s of 1 percent, correct, or 9 in 10,000. My concern is that since the contact was so recent, I could do the prophylactic treatment, but wonder if it's necessary. I didn't know if the guy was positive, and I'm in Norway now which has a relatively low incidence of HIV. I called an HIV hotline and they looked up your column, so I figured I'd go right to the source. Thank you in advance. Nervous Nelly in Norway?

Hey Nervous Nelly in Norway,

I would not recommend a course of nPEP (non-occupational post-exposure prophylaxis) for this type of potential exposure. The actual risk of seroconverting from the episode you describe is extremely remote at best. If you remain worried, a rapid HIV test at the three-month mark could be obtained to put your residual worries permanently to rest. The result will undoubtedly be negative. Nelly, I see no reason to be nervous. I too am linked up with a hotshot Norski. In the future, just remember to aim his single-barreled, pump-action yogurt rifle in a safe direction before it fires off, OK?

Put my mind at ease Dr Bob
Scared because of lack of proper information?