Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Semen eye contact
Mar 21, 2008

Dear Dr. Frascino: About 3 hours ago someone came a little bit in my eye. I read your response to "Aussie" about his fear of infection, but was wondering if you could be more specific. I called the CDC and they said the possibility of infection exists, which flipped me out. Your column said the risk is .09%, which I take to mean 9/100s of 1 percent, correct, or 9 in 10,000. My concern is that since the contact was so recent, I could do the prophylactic treatment, but wonder if it's necessary. I didn't know if the guy was positive, and I'm in Norway now which has a relatively low incidence of HIV. I called an HIV hotline and they looked up your column, so I figured I'd go right to the source. Thank you in advance. Nervous Nelly in Norway?

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hey Nervous Nelly in Norway,

I would not recommend a course of nPEP (non-occupational post-exposure prophylaxis) for this type of potential exposure. The actual risk of seroconverting from the episode you describe is extremely remote at best. If you remain worried, a rapid HIV test at the three-month mark could be obtained to put your residual worries permanently to rest. The result will undoubtedly be negative. Nelly, I see no reason to be nervous. I too am linked up with a hotshot Norski. In the future, just remember to aim his single-barreled, pump-action yogurt rifle in a safe direction before it fires off, OK?

Dr. Bob

Previous
Put my mind at ease Dr Bob
Next
Scared because of lack of proper information?

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.