blood to eye contact

I was assisting in placing an ng tube. The persons nose started to bleed and while they were fighting the tube, they blew out of their nose and their blood flew directly in my eye. They are HIV positive. I am now on Combivir. What are my chances of getting HIV. I have two small children and I am very concerned. Thank you.

The risk of HIV acquisition following mucous membrane exposure is estimated to be 0.09% (confidence interval 0.006% to 0.5%). Your statistical risk would be less, because you are taking PEP. Consequently the odds are astronomically in your favor that you will not contract the virus from this occupational shot in the eye. You can download a copy of the Department of Health and Human Services/CDC "Updated U.S. Public Health Service Guidelines for the Management of Occupational Exposures to HIV and Recommendations for Post-Exposure Prophylaxis" at http://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/preview/mmwrhtml/rr5409a1.htm.

chances?
Put my mind at ease Dr Bob