Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Scared and worried about HIV infection
Mar 21, 2008

I had unprotected anal sex with a HIV positive person. I was the insertive partner.

I was tested at 12 weeks and re-tested at 16 weeks on a HIV antibody/antigen test. both tests were negative. I am highly worried that i have HIV and have not produced antibodies. what i would like to know is this....Can you have HIV and not have antibodies produced? what factors would stop you from producing antibodies. I know these questions have probably been asked millions of times but i just was my post posted and answered so i can feel better. P.S i am in Australia and the doctors told me that 3 months is conclusive.

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hello,

Unprotected sex does place you at some degree of risk for STDs, including HIV. Hopefully you've learned a valuable lesson from this entire experience: unprotected sex isn't worth the worry and the risk!

Regarding HIV-screening tests, the vast majority of those infected with HIV will have detectable levels of anti-HIV antibody in their blood within four-six weeks. For significant confirmed HIV exposures (partner documented to be HIV positive), the current U.S. guidelines recommend testing at the three-month mark and, if negative, repeating the test at six months for a conclusive and definitive result. I know that Australia and several other locales have issued guidelines with shorter window periods. This is due primarily to the availability of new testing assays that allow detection of anti-HIV antibodies somewhat earlier, thereby shortening the window period.

Is it possible to be HIV positive, but still test HIV-antibody negative? Yes, this would be a "false negative" test result. Causes for false-negative HIV tests include testing during the window period (the time before seroconversion), agammaglobulinemia, Type N or O strains, HIV-2 and technical or clerical errors. Overall, causes of false-negative HIV tests are exceedingly rare. Are your week-12 and week-16 negative HIV tests false-negatives? Nope! I suggest you stop worrying and start WOO-HOOing. If you want the U.S. guidelines level of certainty, you can repeat your HIV-antibody test at the six-month mark.

Be well. Stay well.

Dr. Bob

Previous
Mate sup?
Next
chances?

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.