guy notified me he was positive

Dr Bob: I want to donate and I think what you are doing is awesome for the community. Please help me! I had an encounter. Unprotected oral and protected anal. In the last part of October 2007, in November I started with nausia and aching knees. In December I had fever 99f-100f during the afternoon and nightsweats for about 2 weeks. In November I had lymphnode swelling which was in neck, axcilla, and groin area. I also noted tongue changes burning and white towards the dorsal portion. My primary MD did a PCR 28 days after exposure and a regular antibody test at 5weeks, 9weeks, and 12weeks. He also tested for fungus of the tongue also negative. I have not felt well after that exposure with on and off chills and the nodes continue 5 months in. On top of all of this my Doc has been very reassuring saying many things could be axiety. However Yesterday I recieved an email from the person I connected with and for the first time I learned he was positive. Given the PCR and the 12week antibody test what are my chances that I am ok? Please give me your address for donation. I really need your advice. Thanks so much

"Axiety?" What's that? Sounds uncomfortable.

Your repeatedly negative HIV-antibody tests out to 12 weeks plus your undetectable PCR at 28 days are definitive and conclusive. Your HIV risk is minimal at best, assuming the protected anal was indeed protected with a properly used latex or polyurethane condom that did not fail. (Oral sex carries a minimal risk at best.) I agree with your doctor that the majority of your symptoms are most likely due to anxiety.

As for the extra news about your partner being HIV positive, remember, we must assume that all our partners are HIV positive and take all the necessary precautions to prevent HIV transmission. Twenty-five percent of the over-1,000,000 HIV-positive Americans have absolutely no idea they have contracted the virus. So the fact you received the e-mail doesn't really change the equation. It's time to stop worrying and start WOO-HOOing.

Thanks for your donation to the Robert James Frascino AIDS Foundation (www.concertedeffort.org). The foundation's address is:

The Robert James Frascino AIDS Foundation 1000 Fremont Ave., Suite 145 Los Altos, CA 94024

Be well. Stay well.

I JUST LOVE YOU
Woo Freakin Hoo