positive vs negative

Hi Doctor BOB: Im a 26 years female from puerto rico. On april,2006 I was pregnant and have an hiv test, 4 days later I developed chincken pox, when I went to get my results it come back elisa reactive and western blot positive. I became out of mind. my doctor said me that be calm because the chicken pox may caused a cross reaction. I repeat the screen and it came back elisa non-reactive and western blot negative. They said you are negative and treat me like a negative patient. My baby come back healthy except from an atopic dermatitis and little swoolen glands in the neck and the pediatrician said that it is normal in babys. I dont have any syntoms. The doctor forgot the issue but I cant and it is very difficult to me to repeat the test beucase Im scared about the results. what do you think? It is possible that the chicken pox and the pregnancy cause a cross reaction? please answer me because I wrote to Steve and Santana and they never answer me. Two years later Im writing to you praying that you answer me thank you a big hug from Puerto Rico sorry for my poor english yamayra

Hello Yamayra,

Your positive HIV tests during pregnancy were false positives. They are the result of cross-reacting antibodies, which give a falsely positive reading. That your follow-up tests were negative is definitive and conclusive proof that you are indeed HIV negative. Although there is no reason for you to consider retesting, you should not be afraid of the results! If you did decide to retest solely to put your longstanding residual worries permanently to rest, the results would undoubtedly be negative. Both you and your baby are absolutely fine, OK?

Thanks for the Puerto Rican hugs! I'm sending my San Francisco hugs back to you in return.

accidental needlestick
Famvir and antibody testing