Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

+ + COUPLE (NOT A BAREBACKING ?)
Mar 11, 2008

Hey Dr Bob,

Another question coming at you from rochester. First off Thank You. Secondly I know safer sex with + + couples is essential. But other than jimmyin up what other risks are there with + + couples??? Is it in any way shape or form dangerous??? Plus im a man that likes to go down, do I need to stop?? I want whats best and personally if I need to be alone to live a long life I will. Please help.......

A fellow rochesterian

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hi,

Another Rochesterian? Wow, you guys have been very attentive to this forum lately. Either that or all the Siberian weather you have been experiencing has many of you locked in and horned up.

There are no doubt risks associated with unsafe sex and this applies to poz-poz, poz-neg, neg-neg and everything in between. The only potential increased risk for those of us who are virally enhanced is that concurrent infections, including some STDs, can be more difficult to treat as a consequence of our HIV-positive status or current antiretrovirals. Also concurrent infections of any sort can cause a rise in plasma HIV viral load, i.e. an increase in HIV replication induced by other types of infections. This can have negative consequences. So with that all said, do you have to lock yourself into a chastity belt and join a nunnery? Or worse yet, become a sex-phobic Republican? No, of course not! A passionate sex life is just as important and healthy for you as it is for anyone else. You just need to play safe (safer). Each of us self-defines what degree of safe we are comfortable with, based on what's known scientifically about STD risk. Do you need to stop going down? That depends on your comfort level with the associated risk. For instance, look at a different type of risk decision. Do you walk outside in a rainstorm knowing that you could get zapped dead by an errant lightening bolt or falling meteorite? It is a potential risk, but one most people readily accept because the odds of it actually occurring are so low.

Review the information in the archives about levels of risk for the various activities you enjoy. Review also safer sexual techniques. Then create your own boundaries as for what level of risk you are comfortable with. Then hit the sheets with the hottie of your choice until the snow melts and the lilacs in Highland Park are once again in bloom.

Dr. Bob

Previous
KP 1461
Next
WIFE WANTS TO HAVE A CHILD BUT DONT KNOW IF I AM CLEAR? PLEASE HELP

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.