KP 1461

Dear Robert,

Like you I have kept a close eye on the development of KP1461. I have read all the articles published on the drug and have done some reading about viral decay acceleration, heavy stuff!!! Since the start of the phase IIa trial I have been waiting with baited breath.. but not a word!?

I am particularly interested in the results and follow up from the phase I trial. I found an article on the net, published in December 2007 that commented on one of the patients from the trial, but other than that I have not seen anything else published. This is the link to the article. http://www.pacifichorizon.com/news/1360635644December2007InVivoEncouragingMutationsVentureModel.pdf

On page three of the article in the section Betting on VDA, they report that one person who was on the phase I trial did not manage to reach an undetectable viral load after the 124 days of therapy. This person has seen some benefit and has been granted compassionate access to ongoing treatment. No feedback was given about any of the other patients on that trial.

I am interested in reading more about the results from the phase I, or early results from the phase IIa trial. I have written to Karonis Pharmaceuticals, but have not had any response, I was hoping you would be able to point me to some new data that will sooth my curiosity.

Like yourself, I am very positive about all the new developments in treatment and research related HIV treatments. But like so many other HIVers I am looking forward to the day I no longer have to take daily medications.

A big THANK YOU to you and all the staff at The Body!!!!

Yours truly, Pierre (Sydney, Australia)

Hello Pierre,

KP 1461 is one of several novel new therapies presently in the development pipelines that have shown initial promise. Clinical trials are ongoing, but we don't have any additional results to report just yet. These types of clinical trials take time due to development of the study design, gaining approval from oversight review panels, enrollment, data collection and analysis, presentation at medical meetings, peer review and ultimately publication. Unless the data-safety-and-monitoring board stops a clinical trial prematurely due to unexpected findings, we cannot peek at the data, as that would potentially bias the trial. So for now you'll just have to wait patiently. We promise to bring you additional details of this and all promising new therapies in development as their stories unfold and results from clinical trials become available. For instance the research news from the recent Conference on Retroviruses and Opportunistic Infections that was held in Boston is now available on this Web site. You can access that information by clicking on the CROI tab on The Body's homepage.

Moved On
+ + COUPLE (NOT A BAREBACKING ?)