Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Can I WOOOHOOOO!!!? Dr Bob you're gonna like this one!
Mar 8, 2008

Dr. Bob,

Thanks for what you do on this forum...it takes a special person to "donate" their time to something like this.

Here's my deal...

About a year ago I had a very low risk...where I made out with a few girls one of which was a stripper in Vegas. I was going to have sex with one of the girls - actually had the condom on and trying to insert but she was too dry so we stopped. 3 weeks later I came down the worst illness of my life. I had high fever like up to 104 for a week and all the other ars like symptoms (especially vomiting, swollen lymph nodes with exudates, sore muscles, fatigue, night sweats, joint pains, weight loss, etc.) all lasting about a week or so. I went to the ER because I could not breathe very well because my tonsils were so swollen and my fever was still high. They told me it had to be some sort of virus because I tested negative for influenza, strep throat, mono, etc. - pretty much all the normal viruses. My doctor there actually asked me if I was gay. I asked why? She just asked again and asked if i was a needle drug user or what my HIV risks were. I told her I wasn't gay (I'm not gay and have never had relations with other men), not a drug user and told her I wasn't recently exposed to HIV because I didn't even think of "french kissing" and rubbing my condom covered sausage on her vagina as a risk. I asked her to test me and she said "well, you're not in a high risk group and we don't test for HIV here you'll have to go to your doctor to do that..." Absolutely pissed me off! About a week later I developed tingling and numbness in my feet and legs up to my knees. A week after that I saw a neurologist who diagnosed me with "post infectious neuropathy" or a mild form of Guillain Barre syndrome. I tested negative via rapid test about 8 times up to 14 weeks after the french kissing incident. I felt fine and was told I was in the clear but now I keep getting sick. It's about a year later now (13 months) and I just had an oraquick rapid test done again and it was negative. The clinician was talking to me the whole time about odds, safe sex, etc...great man...and said lets take a look at your results - well they weren't there yet. He said sometimes they take a little longer. Does this mean they found something that didn't look right and had to make sure it indeed was not HIV? How often are lab errors made where they mix up samples and what not? Finally, am I indeed HIV negative??? I read many sites that many people who display HIV ars symptoms and test negative for other more common illnesses should get tested at 6 months and maybe even 12 months or later. I'm very worried again because I don't know what was wrong with me and this whole time I've been having sex with my girlfriend. I definitely don't want to give her anything. Is it really possible that I got HIV from making out and maybe didn't test pos yet? Or did I just have a random virus or something?

Thanks again...Donation is coming!!!

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hello,

French kissing and rubbing latex-covered sausage on a vagina are not considered significant HIV-acquisition risks. Your repeatedly negative HIV tests out to 13 months are definitive and conclusive. HIV is not your problem. No way. No how. I have no way of determining why your test results were slightly delayed. Lab errors (technical and clerical) are exceedingly rare. The odds of multiple errors on your multiple negative tests would be so remote as to be nonexistent!

So are you HIV negative? Yep!

Do you need additional HIV tests? Nope!

Is it possible you're HIV-infected and haven't tested positive yet? Nope!

Did you have a random (non-HIV) virus or something? Yep!

Thanks for your donation to the Robert James Frascino AIDS Foundation (www.concertedeffort.org). Congratulations on your negative HIV status. It's WOO-HOO time!

Dr. Bob

Previous
can you help me please
Next
water Sports and Scat Play

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.