The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

PEP question

Mar 8, 2008

Dr Bob. For one, I love the site and particularly your sense of humor. My question to you is on a professional level. I work in a hospital and at the light of the "downgrade" of Combivir, I was thinking that we should change our needlestick PEP nuke part from Combivir to Truvada (+Kaletra for confirmed seropositive source). Unfortunately, I couldn't find any science based literature backing this combo for sexual or needlestick PEP. In theory, I guess it should work the same, right? We have from time to time tolerance problems with Combivir and I would think switching to Truvada might help tolerance and ease of use since once daily. What are your thoughts on that? I would appreciate any input. thank you Stephan

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hi Stephan,

I agree with using Truvada for PEP and I would definitely choose a Truvada-containing regimen over one that contains Combivir. The "Updated U.S. Public Health Service Guidelines for Management of Occupational Exposures to HIV and Recommendations for Post-Exposure Prophylaxis" support this choice. Of course there are many considerations when optimizing a safe and effective PEP regimen, but in general I absolutely agree Truvada wins hands down over Combivir. And there is plenty of scientific literature to back that up.

Dr. Bob

Are you ok Doc? Worried about you !
can you help me please

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

 Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint