Once-off Exposure

Hi Doc

I managed to get into an unfortunate situation with two "local girls" whilst overseas on a business trip. I allowed them to perform oral sex for about 30 seconds and protected vaginal sex for about 20 seconds. At that point I freaked out and called an end to the whole thing.

My doc has recommended PEP, which I started at about 58-60 post the incident. I have stuck to my routine for three days now and obviously intend doing so until my course is complete.

Whilst not married or with any children, I am a wreck about the fact that I was willing to risk so much for so little.

I would appreciate it if you let me know what my risk of exposure/infection is, the possible success of the PEP treatment and any other advice that may be of use.

Thanks in advance. J

Hello J,

Without extenuating circumstances, PEP would not be recommended for "oral sex for about 30 seconds and protected vaginal sex for about 20 seconds with two 'local girls'."

PEP is recommended for significant HIV exposures. Your brief interlude with the dynamic duo doesn't qualify, particularly if the latex condom was used properly and did not break.

My advice would be to stop PEP and get a single rapid HIV test three months from the potential exposure. It will undoubtedly be negative. You should then yell "WOO-HOO." (It's kind of a custom around here.)

Negative ELISA and reactive P24
Are you ok Doc? Worried about you !