Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

A VERY SIMPLE QUESTION - NOT IN THE ARCHIVES!!!!
Mar 8, 2008

Dear Doc,

I have been diagnosed with fibromyalgia because I started having serious pains after repeated hiv exposure. I tested several times and it was negative. In April 2007, I recieved oral sex (I am a girl) from my hiv pos exboyfriend - very brief exposure about 2 minutes. Since this exposure, I have been getting various symptoms pains in head and shoulders, arms, sinus problems, runny nose, but this is what concerns me, I have been getting unusual vaginal bleeding and no period. I tested October 2007, six months after exposure and tested negative. I recently found out that fibromyalgia is an autoimmune disease, could the fingerstick test be a false negative? I would appreciate your answer as I am very worried. I also have a tiny lymph node behind my left ear for months now, any advice please? Worried and depressed.

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hello,

"Fibromyalgia" is a very over-diagnosed condition. I would suggest you see a rheumatologist to ascertain if indeed you have the condition. Even if you had fibromyalgia it would not affect your HIV test results. Your negative test at six months is definitive and conclusive. HIV is not your problem. No way. No how. A negative FDA-approved test outside the window period trumps "symptoms" every time.

I absolutely agree you are "worried and depressed." I would advise you schedule a follow-up visit with your gynecologist to evaluate your unusual vaginal bleeding. I would also suggest you talk to your general medical doctor about being "worried and depressed." Counseling may help. Remember, whatever is going on with you, one thing is certain: It's not HIV!

Dr. Bob

Previous
WOO-HOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!??
Next
larger penis (PENIS ENLARGEMENT)

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.