Can it be possible? Thai expat

Dr. Bob, I'm a European expat living in Thailand for the last 4 years. For the last 3 years I have had a girl sex partner who looked reliable and we've been practicing unprotected sex for the whole 3 years. She had gotten pregnant around two months ago and went for a routine check at the hospital. Results came back she's HIV+ Elisa. Have taken two more times ECLIA and confirmatory Western, all positive. Checked her CD4 level and came out 90!!!. So the physician said she might have got infected at least a year ago!! This girls has no symptom whatsoever, and claims to have been pregnant and aborted three times in the past. Also use hormones to gain wait and other weird stuffs (but not IVD)

During these last four years, coz of my job, I have been HIV tested 3 years. Around three weeks ago i took ECLIA test and came back negative. I also have another regular sex partner in a nearby town. Checked ECLIA and came back negative too!!!. Can all this be possible??..I will be taking ECLIA test every month...but really I AM PUZZLED.. Thanks for your time and your advice.

Puzzled Expat

Hello Puzzled Expat,

Is it possible your Thai gal-pal is poz and you have remained negative despite unprotected sex for the past three years? Yes, it is possible. Not every HIV exposure results in viral transmission. In fact most do not, thankfully! However, by having unprotected sex, you have been playing sexual Russian roulette! You'll need additional HIV screening at the three-month mark (from the time of your last exposure). If still negative, you will need a supplemental test at six months before you can be definitively confirmed to be HIV negative.

HIV Wife
Infectious Disease Physician / Donation