Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

PLEASE HELP, I'M REALLY CONCERNED
Apr 16, 2001

Hi, I recently had unprotected sex a week ago. I tested negative before that incident. However, I was wondering what my risks are--if it is in fact a high risk (which I keep thinking it is). I performed oral sex, but there did not seem to be any pre-cum nor did he ejaculate in my mouth. I don't think I had any cuts in my mouth. We had vaginal intercourse for 15-20 minutes. He did not cum inside me. I found out that he had unprotected sex before with a sex worker in Asia, what are the chances of me acquiring it if no fluids seemed to be exchanged and he turned out to be positive (this is me assuming that there was no pre-cum or is there always pre-cum). I'm really worried and I think about it constantly. My friends say not to worry, but I can't stop thinking about. I'm really scared. I can't believe I put myself in that situation. I plan to get tested in 3 and 6 months. PLEASE HELP and provide your advise!!! Thanks so much!!! I'm scared that until I'm tested at 6 months, this is going to run my life.

Response from Mr. Kull

Technically, if you say that "no fluids were exchanged," infection with HIV is an impossibility. The fact that he did not ejaculate inside of your body probably does decrease your risk, but the presence of pre-cum (which you are not always going to be able to predict or be aware of) does pose a risk for infection. Your partner needs to be HIV infected for there to be any risk to you for infection.

People often get anxious about having unprotected sex, especially if it's the first time that they have done it. Most people have a slip up at some point in their life and do not get HIV infected; try to remember that. It is important to use condoms for vaginal-anal sex to greatly reduce your risk of exposure to pre-ejaculate or ejaculate.

Also remember that condoms are important in preventing the transmission of other sexually transmitted infections.

RMK

Previous
std or infection?
Next
Do I Have Genital Warts?

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.