Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

alopecia areata
Mar 4, 2008

I rec'd unprotected oral in November (from someone who claims to be healthy but is questionable as far as I am concerned), and in January started getting alopecia areata.

I had an RNA and rapid test in January (about 65 days), negative. The clinicians assure me their is no chance I have hiv (to be safe I took another oral test at 14 1/2 weeks and it was negative).

They are all very experienced -- one mentioned that aa is not an early symptom of hiv.

I did have severe allergies (which apparently are autoimmune) last year, but no hair problems. I was also under a huge amount of stress in December, which is what the dermatologist thinks it is.

Should I still be concerned?

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hi,

Your negative HIV-antibody test at 14.5 weeks is definitive and conclusive. HIV is not your problem. No way. No how.

Even though "allergies" are not technically "autoimmune" conditions, I agree your alopecia areata problem is definitely not HIV related. Stress can indeed be a common cause.

Should you still be concerned about HIV? The short answer is no. The longer answer is nope!

Dr. Bob

Previous
hi
Next
NEEDLE STICK TO BUTT INJURY

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.